UK file-sharers to be 'cut off'

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 25, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

UK file-sharers to be 'cut off'

The government has published new measures that could see people who illegally download films and music cut off from the net.

The amendment to the Digital Britain report would see regulator Ofcom given greater powers to tackle pirates.

The technical measures are likely to include suspending the net accounts of "hardcore copyright pirates".

It is believed that Business Secretary Lord Mandelson has intervened personally to beef up the policy.

The Digital Britain report, published in June, gave Ofcom until 2012 to consider whether technical measures to catch pirates were necessary.

However, according to a statement from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills released on Tuesday, that timeframe is now considered "too long to wait".

Full story : here

There has been a follow-up news item with responses from ISP's. See this thread

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      :rolleyes:
    2. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      The tax paid on CDs and DVDs is VAT which is paid on top of the cost of all consumer goods in the UK, so if its an unfair tax on CDs and DVDs do you also see it as unfair when applied to other goods? and do you therefore think its alright to steal them as well?

As it is the current government has actually CUT the amount of tax on CDs, DVDs and all consumer goods, but anyway.

Many other things are subject to price increases the moment they hit these shores, including the hardware you use to download all your torrents, is it therefore ok for you to steal that as well because its over priced?

Or is the difference that music, movies and software are easy to steal so it doesn't really count?
    3. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      truthfully if dvd's and cd's were less expensive here in the uk, or at least the same price as everywere else in the world I would happily buy genuine copys. A dont see how its fair that I should have to pay considerably more for something than someone in another country. Its not all the goverment either its the actual distributors taking the piss and getting away with it. If cd's and dvd's and other media were priced correctly then pirating would be a much smaller problem than it currently is FACT!
    4. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol

your missing the point here!:rolleyes: boson stated in a previous post that tax in the states on a dvd or cd is 15%, Currently we are being charged VAT at 15% yet there is a huge price difference. My problem isnt just with the tax its more with the initial price of the product to begin with
    5. JK2447
      JK2447
      Speaking of FACT, lets hope they don't read certforums or you might not be as smart as you think.
      Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    6. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      I notice you provide no answers to the questions I've posed but we'll leave that for now.

It is not FACT I'm afraid piracy is a GLOBAL problem, not just a UK one, dropping the price of CDs here to a more acceptable (in your eyes) level would have little to no effect as it doesn't act as enough incentive to stop people getting something for free.
    7. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      am certainly no trying to be smart just stating my opinion on the forum.
    8. JK2447
      JK2447
      Opinions one thing. Heated debate, sure. But admitting you illegally download? I'm no rocket scientist but . . .
    9. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      il just agree to disagree, cant be bothered today
    10. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      what point did i admit i illegally downloa? you can use torrenting for completely legal purposes
    11. JK2447
      JK2447
      I'm going to take BM's example and stop talking cos I'm starting to think this is some kind of wind-up ha ha seriously
    12. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Would you bollocks.

You'd just do what everyone else used to do before the Internet came along (yes, some of us are old enough to remember!) and buy less music/films. Of course, then you'd do what - again, pretty much everyone else used to do - and tape everything off your mates.
    13. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Yeah - because of course the rest of your arguments have been related to perfectly legitimate use of torrent sites, right? :rolleyes:
    14. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      lol use guys are too easy :)
    15. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Don't give it that. You started this row, now you want us all to believe it was a wind-up? Pull the other one, its got bells on.
    16. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Just like you can't be bothered to pay for music and movies you steal, eh? Nice.

Truth is, you're backing out because your position is indefensible.

Please. What else could you have meant when you said:

So... you'll keep torrenting legal stuff until the price of CDs and DVDs is equal the world over?? :rolleyes:

Go ahead and backpedal... but most of us here are intelligent enough to not buy your story.

Deliberate trolling'll get you banned, mate. Or are you not worried about that, either?
    17. Sparky
      Sparky
      Total cr@p. If the CD\DVDs cost £2 you would still download them for free.

Just one other thing, you dont *have* to buy the latest DVD\CD do you? Think about it. :rolleyes:
    18. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      bit ott on here tonight is it not? were all entitled to our own op's. A ment what a said about the price diff in the states but i was keeping it going afterwords :)
    19. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      bull**** i buy value dvds all the time from my local supermarket ones you get for a couple of quid or 4 classics for a fiver :x
    20. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      It is not opinion as to whether something is illegal or not. What you are doing/advocating/however-you-want-to-spin-it is unquestionably illegal.

As such, I'd suggest you check out the CertForums user agreement. I'll bold the relevant sections in case you've missed it:

If you decide you still want to troll (see section 5.g) while waving the pirate flag, I'd suggest you do it elsewhere.