1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft teases users with 64-bit XP trial

Discussion in 'News' started by Phil, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

[​IMG]<font size="3">Microsoft teases users with 64-bit XP trial </font>

Microsoft continues to redefine the notion of a software striptease with the 64-bit version of Windows XP, kicking off yet another early access program for the OS.

Rabid 64-bit computing fans can now pick up a trial version of Windows XP 64-bit Edition via CD or download off this Microsoft site. The pre-release software is good for 360 days and gives customers with an AMD64-based PC or laptop a chance to test the OS. The bra has come off, but you'll have to wait to see the pasties hit the floor.

Microsoft promised Windows XP 64-bit Edition for both AMD's Opteron and Athlon64 chips many moons ago. The software, however, has repeatedly been pushed back - surely a sore spot with AMD. Microsoft has been gracious enough to put out a beta version of the OS for developers - tuck your $1 bill in here, please - and has promised an AMD-ready version of Windows Server 2003.

A proles-ready version of Windows XP 64-bit Edition won't actually arrive until the second half of the year, along with a service pack for the 32-bit code. This gives SuSE, Red Hat and even Sun Microsystems with Solaris x86 a few months to lead the Opteron/Athlon64 charge on 64-bit systems, while Microsoft adjusts its undies for the big dance.

Rest of Story: The Register

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. SimonV
      SimonV
      All I need now is a new motherboard and processor. :tomato
    2. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      What a waste of good food :eek: :cry:
    3. Sandy
      Sandy
      I can't see the use it is to a normal user :!:

We use 64 bit on all our UNIX servers and they go like lightning but they are serving over 1000 users each

Why would a 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM PC appear to go any faster if 64 bits were running round the bus...

Toys for the boys me thinks. :roll: