Join New Zealand Internet blackout protest against insane copyright law

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Join New Zealand Internet blackout protest against insane copyright law

New laws that arrive in New Zealand on 28th February mean anyone *ACCUSSED* three times of copyright infringement gets their internet connection disconnected. No court+jury required. In protest of this insane and draconian law, New Zealanders are doing a blackout protest - changing avatars to black, and websites to black.

If you have any form of copyright infringement you can stand to lose your Internet connection. That includes things such as Avatars for forums, which are so common and hard to find copyrights on sometimes. Also if your have any form of "Internet service" your an ISP, but what constitues an internet service? Apparently Schools, libararies, even sharing your net connection at home could mean your an isp!

What's more, under the new law, anyone who provides any form of services over the Internet is an ISP. That means libraries, councils, schools, businesses, government offices, you name it. If you share your Internet connection with your flatmates, you're probably an ISP too under the new act.

Read more about it here & here.

Compliments to Twizzle for the find :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. twizzle
      twizzle
      And isnt that the point? Laws are already inplace to protect teh IP in teh first place. This is just over the top.
      And innocent people can be persecuted for unintetional infractions of the new law which may be policed and enforced more as its seems easier to initiate? Its easier just to say your all guilty no matter how much by than to look at individuals and say, actually its so small an infringement its not worth bothering about?

I know i have infrigened someones copyright, mainly as i havent know who owns teh original IP. If i did and i was selling copyrighted stuff i would eitehr acknowledge teh IPs owener, or esle seek thier permission. However i dont make any money off any infrigements and doubt i would be chased fro miuse of copyrights.
    2. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Exactly... lazy policing. 8)