IT staff do 34 days of unpaid overtime a year, says TUC

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IT staff do 34 days of unpaid overtime a year, says TUC

Workplace pressure caused by the recession is leading to IT professionals working more than a month of unpaid overtime every year.

The TUC says one-third of IT workers are doing an average of 34 days of unpaid overtime in a 12-month period. The figure is an increase on August 2008, when workers were doing 33.8 days of unpaid overtime a year.

It means IT staff are working around five hours and 48 minutes a week for free. Today is the TUC's Work Your Proper Hours Day, which marks the point in the year at which the average person who does free overtime would start earning their salary if all their unpaid overtime were done at the start of the year.

The TUC has in the past made a call for employees to work their proper hours for one day today, to
    remind bosses of the effort they put in.

Read the whole article here.

While I agree with parts of this article (especially the extra hours we work), I do have to say that my manager (the business manager) actually works alot more "free hours" than myself (the IT manager). So it's not just limited to IT staff...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments