Your SSID Isn’t Hidden Forever

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Jan 23, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Your SSID Isn’t Hidden Forever

A common security practice among wireless network administrators is to disable Service Set Identifier (SSID) broadcasting on wireless access points or routers. The reason is that disabling SSID broadcasting is supposed to hide and protect their wireless network. Even if an individual knows there is a wireless network at a certain location, this person must know the SSID to establish a connection with the network. Therefore, hiding the SSID by disabling SSID broadcasting helps to prevent others from connecting to the network. Don’t let this give you a false sense of security, however. People with the right equipment can easily retrieve the SSID of the network.

To read the rest, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      I'm glad this one has come by again.

I have maintained for ages that the practice of removing the SSID from the beacon didn't actualy enhance security very much. Most people have said I was mistaken on this! So it is good to see verification! :biggrin

Harry.
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Feel free to pass along the link to anyone you think might need to be enlightened. :wink:
    3. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I was aware of the hidden SSID issue but the linked article does explain it very well.

A snippet...

Well WEP is crackable too, so lets hope that WPA is the answer :rolleyes:
    4. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Nothing is completely uncrackable. It's like locking your car door. If a thief really wants in, they break a window, hotwire the car and "Gone in 60 Seconds". However, if you keep increasing the difficulty of breaking in, you'd have to *really* be worth someone's while to try and nail you.