Warner Bros. Down with Downloading

Discussion in 'News' started by Mr.Cheeks, May 10, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Warner Bros. Down with Downloading

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Warner Bros. has decided to join forces with long-time nemesis BitTorrent, announcing Tuesday that the studio has inked a deal with the file-sharing company, whose software has become a feeding ground for illegal downloading.

A large portion of BitTorrent's 65 million users hit up the site to use its peer-to-peer technology to illegally swap media files, while a smaller segment uses its search engine to buy legal copies of videogames and other media.

Read the rest here...

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. _omni_
      _omni_
      i saw a documentary (or a speech/presentation, rather) awhile ago about bittorrent - dl'ed from bittorrent - about how the media companies were trying to destroy BT.
      it was saying that they'd never be successful, and instead will eventually be forced to radically change their advertising methods (since ads are edited out - some other method will be necessary) and join BT...or die out.

oh and never in my life have i been to bittorrent.com before now. don't know why they chose that site, it's tiny and absolutely not popular with most BTers. :blink
    2. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      BT came extermely popular when they closed down the servers linking to www.suprnova.org as well as a few others, but that was one of the main torrent sites out there... it was all over the news, papers, internet, everything, everyone heard about it, espcially when they said it freed up so much traffic on the net, and then people found out how simply it was to use, and started to design their own clients, or started using them.

they cannot close bittorrent becuase of the protocol Bram Cohem? uses, albeit we know of the illegal use of BT, it was not originally designed for that, but the legal use of BT, is a god send!...