Wardriving may hit UK

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wardriving may hit UK

British credit card details could be in danger from the same technique that saw over 40 million people in the USA become victims of identity theft, experts have claimed.

The attack involves hacking into wireless networks - called 'wardriving' - and hundreds of medium sized retailers may be at risk, reports silicon.com.

Retailers of this size, defined as handling up to six million Visa transactions, do not have to take an independent audit to make sure they are compliant with PCI DSS security standards, which would block the attacks.

A test by NCC Group in London last year found that 93 per cent of the 552 wireless networks tested did not have the strongest encryption standard and 41 per cent had 'broken' WEP encryption.

Read the whole aticle here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      LOLOLOL

Hands up who first started (or knew about) 'wardriving in the UK' about six or seven years ago? How can the BCS put out a story like this - it makes them a laughing stock. Wardriving has been in the mainstream press for about four years FFS!
    2. kevicho
      kevicho
      This is yet another reason for me to get my drivers licence ;)
    3. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      I think stories like this gets recycled every so often, as professionals get lax is certain areas. It's a way to get old info back into the press :)

-Ken
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      What is this "wardriving" thing of which you speak? :noob

:biggrin