Virgin Media to avoid unachievable speed claims

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 10, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Virgin Media to avoid unachievable speed claims

Virgin Media are promising to avoid claims of unachievable speeds for its National Broadband product. This is the service that is available if you live in a non-cable broadband enabled area, and is provided using DSL over the phone line like most other broadband providers.

The new marketing for the national products will set out the speed as being "the fastest broadband we can give you" which is largely limited by the distance to the local telephone exchange. The cable broadband service, which it calls fibre optic broadband, will still be listed as providing an "up to" speed based on the product purchased as these are not affected in the same way as the technology limited ADSL based products.

Full story : here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. danielno8
      danielno8
      All the talk of speed issues, are they taking into account the contention/traffic shaping problems most people face? Since NTL were taken over from virgin, peak time speeds have been horrid! We moved from virgin to Sky and its now even worse. come 11ish speeds fire up to around 700-800KB/s.
    2. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Don't forget this article is talking about the non-cable product. It does also seem to vary depending on where you are, even within a small local area.
    3. danielno8
      danielno8
      yep it adsl i'm on. Pretty sure it just the exchange is over populated. lots of new houses been put up in the village in the last couple years.
    4. ThomasMc
      ThomasMc
      Sky and Virgin are rank rotten :p
    5. Qs
      Qs
      On ADSL myself. Thankfully I'm one of the lucky ones as I only live 50 or so metres from the exchange and the speeds are always really good.

Sky ftw? :p

Qs
    6. danielno8
      danielno8
      just depends, my exchange isn't unlocked yet for LLU (think thats what it needs) to allow other providers equipment in. so all going through BT Whoelsale,

Whereasa my friend in the city exchange, Sky have their own shizzle in there and gets great speeds at all times.
    7. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Doesn't always follow tho'. Once you're LLU the ISP will manage their own contention which can vary enormously depending on provider. At least with a BT wholesale backed product you know the contention is fixed at 50:1 or 20:1 (business).
    8. ThomasMc
      ThomasMc