USB 3.0 will not be forked

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

USB 3.0 will not be forked

Concerns over potential multiple versions of the next generation of USB have dissipated, after Intel made part of the draft specification available to other companies.

Companies such as AMD and Nvidia had been complaining that Intel, which is driving the specification for USB 3.0, also called SuperSpeed USB, was withholding key details about the technology. Intel denied the claims. Many had feared a split in the USB 3.0 specification, which would have created difficulties for manufacturers and consumers alike.

However, on Wednesday, Intel announced the availability of the Extensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) draft specification for the USB 3.0 architecture. The accompanying statement included an endorsement by AMD.

Read the whole story here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Johnd76
      Johnd76
      so how fast will the "superspeed USB" be?
    2. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Around 4.8Gb/s, if you believe the hype. I reckon around 4Gb/s will be more like it. Still around 10 times faster than USB2.0 at any rate.
    3. Johnd76
      Johnd76
      So when is this coming?
    4. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      According to Wiki:

See here.

-Ken