UK file-sharers to be 'cut off'

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 25, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

UK file-sharers to be 'cut off'

The government has published new measures that could see people who illegally download films and music cut off from the net.

The amendment to the Digital Britain report would see regulator Ofcom given greater powers to tackle pirates.

The technical measures are likely to include suspending the net accounts of "hardcore copyright pirates".

It is believed that Business Secretary Lord Mandelson has intervened personally to beef up the policy.

The Digital Britain report, published in June, gave Ofcom until 2012 to consider whether technical measures to catch pirates were necessary.

However, according to a statement from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills released on Tuesday, that timeframe is now considered "too long to wait".

Full story : here

There has been a follow-up news item with responses from ISP's. See this thread

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. romeospadre
      romeospadre
      Sound about rite

Maybe if all downloaders stopped and everyone purchased DVD's at £9.99
      a throw then warner bros etc would be making more $$$ then instead of paying actors 20 - 30 million a movie they could give them 100 million a film - Because they worth it - pfffff
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Do you *really* think they search only by filename? :biggrin Ever heard of virus signatures? ;)
    3. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Why would it not be illegal? When you've downloaded it, you possess a copy of that copyrighted work. Doesn't matter what you DO with it... you have possession of something that's not yours.

Can I steal money as long as I don't spend it?
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      No; it is grammatically correct. It refers to literature that is increasingly electronic in nature. As time goes on, the literature is distributed more and more by electronic means rather than by printed copy.
    5. rax
      rax
      I think Spotify is trying to help with that - though it has limited uses.
    6. rax
      rax
      You would need to enlighten me on this :oops:
    7. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
    8. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Viruses aren't usually detected by filename... they're often detected by a string of bits that is present in the code. When this string of bits - the virus signature - is detected, an AV app (or IDS or IPS) can take the appropriate action against the virus.

So... considering the technology is already available to detect viruses, don't you think that same technology might be used for catching those who illegally share movies? Just something to consider.

Bottom line: if you don't want to be caught sharing something that's not yours to offer or downloading something that's not yours to steal, don't do it.
    9. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      It's unfortunate that there are so many people who:
      A. Aren't clever enough to realise they are doing something that is hurting others
      B. Don't care

I heard a vox pop interview with some scratter who said 'I know it's against the law, but it's not as if I'm commiting a crime'.

Faced with that blinding level of intelligence I don't see how anyone is going to get through to some people.

Oh, but the really annoying ones are the people who see themselves as some kind of Robin Hood - because that's what they've heard, not what they've worked out for themselves using, say, actual evidence.

'It's not wrong because the people who make CDs are exploiting Indian workers and destroying the rain forests'.

Come on.

And I don't hold with the argument that 'It's not stealing because I would never have bought it in the first place so the copyright owner would never have got my money anyway so is no worse off'.
    10. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      This is pretty much my take on it, particularly the 'I never would have bought it anyway' bull****. If you never would have bought it, why did you download it?

I've heard that logic applied to a whole raft of different laws, normally by a small select group of total muppets who apart from thinking its alright steal copyright material also believe that:

• Its not assault if it occurs on a football pitch.
      • drink driving isn't a crime if you 'can hold your drink'.
      • claiming more benefits and paying less tax is righting some kind of social injustice.

In other words, morons.
    11. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      il keep torrenting until the price of cd and dvd's is equal the world over. you can buy a chart cd in the states for about £4.50 yet over here its £9.00 :dry so in my eyes the real thieves are the music/film distributors and the goverment for letting them get away with it while adding some tax on aswell:x
    12. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      By their logic, perhaps it's OK to steal cars, but only if it's a car I never would have bought anyway.

For those who throw up the ridiculous argument that it's OK to steal intellectual property because the theft doesn't result in the loss of tangible goods, I would ask them whether they think they should be allowed to take a class without paying for it (provided they wouldn't have paid for it anyway :rolleyes:). After all, the professor's going to teach the class whether or not you're there, right? Ah, but if that's the case, why should the other students have to pay for it? And if nobody pays for it, where's the incentive for the professor to teach the class in the first place?

Go ahead, pirates... keep stealing the things I work hard to create. When I can no longer make a living from creating training products, who will you steal from then?
    13. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      So you feel like you're entitled to it, is that it? :dry

If you don't like your government's practices, change your government or emigrate.
    14. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      how about america gets pulled up and pays $18.00 for a cd and $30.00 for a dvd see how you feel then about torrenting same with petrol 8)
    15. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      As BM has already said, if you don't like the taxes you have to pay, either vote for someone else when the time rolls round or sod off somewhere else. If you really want to attack the british tax system, please go after the truly unfair bits i.e. 80 year old grandmothers forced to pay hugely over the top council tax bills or leave the family home.
    16. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      How about you get pulled up and have to pay restitution for copyright infringement and THEN let's see how you feel about torrenting! :dry

In any case, you're quite a bit misinformed. Many new releases cost $15 plus tax (approx 10%) here, and ya know what? I don't steal them. If I want to own a copy of the music, I pay the price. If I am not willing to pay that price, I wait until the price comes down or I don't buy the music. It's as simple as that.

Just because you can't afford it or don't want to pay that much doesn't give you the right to steal it. Period. I don't care HOW much it costs!!
      Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    17. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      As I say, I will continue to torrent along with the millions of others until dvd's and cd's are a fair price. I could Vote for someone else but maybe by doing so a different party would be elected and maybe they wouldnt help the american soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan as much ( which costs the uk tax payer millions a day) so maybe boson should be the one voting for a different party or emigrateing then maybe the goverment wouldnt need to tax me so much to fund a war caused by his country :)
    18. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      topics getting kind of side tracked, il agree to disagree:)
    19. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      Topics getting sidetracked because your arguments have very little basis in reality.....
    20. leosdelsol
      leosdelsol
      what part exactly?