UK broadband 'notspots' revealed

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, May 27, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

UK broadband 'notspots' revealed

Around three million homes in the UK have broadband speeds of less than two megabits per second (2Mbps) according to research commissioned by the BBC.

The government has promised to provide all homes in the UK with speeds of at least 2Mbps by 2012.

The research revealed that so-called notspots are not limited to rural communities with many in suburban areas, and even streets in major towns.

The government has pledged a range of technologies to fill the gaps.

"We had assumed that these notspots were in remote parts of the countryside. That may be where the most vocal campaigners are but there is a high incident of them in commuter belts," said Alex Salter, co-founder of broadband website SamKnows.

Full story here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Gav
      Gav
      "According to BT Wholesale, your line is very unlikely to be able to support ADSL, although a 256kbps service may be available."

That's my grandmothers home in the 'countryside' (about 15 minutes away from the City Centre)

I've got her hooked up with a Vodafone 3G Modem + External Antenna so she gets speeds of around 2-3Mbps - it's a bit pricey though :)
    2. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      My other half called to get our broadband sorted whilst I was at work, as we just got our phone line installed. He has been told that our local exchange (old and horrible and in a village) has no capacity, and at any rate can only provide 512Kbps - 1Mbps. Because they'd need an engineer to work on it to get us a connection, they'd charge us £10 per month for that connection.

He told me to calm down, stop swearing, and stop waving my arms around before he crashed the car.
    3. twizzle
      twizzle