UK broadband 'not fit' for future

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Oct 1, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

UK broadband 'not fit' for future

A study of the global state of broadband has put the UK 25th out of 66 countries in terms of the quality of its networks.

The research for Cisco found that countries such as Latvia and Bulgaria were better prepared than the UK for next-generation net applications.

The UK was listed among countries whose broadband is "meeting needs for today".

Korea and Japan continue to dominate the league table, largely due to their commitment to fast networks.

In Korea, for example, the government has promised universal speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigabit per second) by 2012.

Despite not being ready for future applications, the UK was well placed to cope with today's network demands, the study found.

Full story : here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Not suprised really...

-Ken
    2. dales
      dales
      Its probably alot easier to create a fast network infrastructure from scratch than rip up all the old copper infrastructure we have, especially when there are share holders to please!
    3. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      I'm not particularly surprised, as Dales says its a whole heap easier to build an entirely new infrastructure than to upgrade the current one and the various companies involved are in no hurry to upgrade because its nowhere near being financially sensible.

BT are in the process of upgrading the core network and this will have an effect but the last mile is a long way off seeing improvement.
    4. michael78
      michael78
      Until BT is either broken up and sold to create a more level playing field or come back under the control of the Goverment then we will always have a dropping to pieces infrastructure. There is a new housing estate that we were thinking of moving to and we found out the average speed is 2Mbps which is pathetic. The underlining network just doesn't cut it in this modern age.

BT is also so over complex in it's structure that some idiot at BT put a limiter on my line by mistake and it crippled my line to 256Kbps and it took 6 months and about 12 visits from BT to get it fixed. The only reason I got it fixed was emailing their CEO and pestering him. At first he didn't want to accept responsibility until I was their customer eventhough it's their line at the end of the day so I had to sign up with them eventhough they admitted they caused the issue in the first place. BT has a monopoly and it needs to be broken up for the UK to progress simple as that IMHO.
    5. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      I read an interesting article a while back about a company that was laying fibre-optic cable down drains and sewers etc on the basis that it was quicker and cheaper than digging up all the roads.

All hail British genius (and laziness).

:biggrin
    6. Gingerdave
      Gingerdave
      I agree untill the govrnment turns round and says you must do this we will be langishing in ever dropping speeds.
    7. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Don't get me started on BT.
      On the one hand, my home account that earns them about £9 per month is problem free.
      Yet our work business account that we paid through the nose for may as well been a wet bit of string.

The only help we ever got over the phone was 'try a new filter' or 'turn it off then on again' - what, like we did yesterday?

Each time an engineer came out he'd tell us that it was the line or the exchange and that, yes, although that was BT as well it was a different part of BT and he couldn't do anything about it.

Eventually we threatened them with legal action and when they phoned back to ask us to try a different filter, we changed suppliers. Then they tried to fine us for early cancellation.

:x