Texas PC Repair Now Requires PI License

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

New Computer Repair Law Could Affect Both Company Owners and Consumers

A strange new law in Texas, US...

A new Texas law requires every computer repair technician to obtain a private investigator's license, according to a lawsuit filed in Austin. Violators can face a $4,000 fine and one year in jail, as well as a $10,000 civil penalty.

Unlicensed computer shops will have to close down until they obtain a private investigator's license.

A private investigator's license can be obtained by acquiring a criminal justice degree or by getting a three-year apprenticeship under a licensed private investigator.

See here & here.

-ken

I wonder if this will catch on in the UK :eek:

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      Dont know bout the PI license, but there should be some sort of check involved. You are accessing otehr people's data expecially, when you take the rig away or left alone for a bit.

Not saying we need government clearance, but something should be involved! yes, its going to be costly for the Tech's but it least that will elimate all the clowns who think they know what they are doing and sc*ew the system even more, and then sent to me to fix.

Interesting this is!
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      That's why I back & support the BCS vision in "creating the IT Profession", not everyones cup o tea, but each to their own :)

-Ken
    3. Theprof
      Theprof
      wow they are getting strict although I do see their point, I do agree with Mr.Cheeks that some sort of verification should take place, computer shops should be trust worthy to make people comfortable. I know for my self that I would be uncomfortable if I had to bring a computer to a shop with all my data on the hard and have them try to fix the problem. Luckily I know how to troubleshoot computers pretty well and don't have to bring them to the shop when they break, other people are not as fortunate and thus have no choice but have someone else fix their pc.
    4. zimbo
      zimbo
      Some form of this exists in the UK. All the uni's im applying to to do my M.Sc in Forensics have asked for Police clearance as well, and Cranfield want even further clearance due the the course being held at Sandhurst, because of the nature of the courses they dont want clowns getting hold of information like this! :rolleyes:
    5. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Hope everyone doesn't get upset when the cost of repairing a PC goes up fourfold because of this crazy law. :rolleyes: