Technology A-level student numbers fall again

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Technology A-level student numbers fall again

The number of students taking IT-related A-level subjects fell again this year.

ICT student numbers fell 2.7% from 12,277 to 11,948, while the number of computing students fell 7% from 5,068 to 4,710.

The gender divide in technology was also demonstrated by the figures. There were 7,339 on the ICT course, compared with 4,609 girls, and 4,256 boys took A-level computing, compared with just 454 girls.

Those girls who did take ICT tended to perform very well, with 37.5% of female candidates achieving grade A or B, compared with 26.8% of male candidates.

The overall number of students achieving A grades fell slightly from 16.1% to 15.7% in computing, but rose from 9.7% to 10.2% in ICT.

The continual fall in the number of students taking IT-related subjects has been causing headaches for the technology industry for years. The curriculum for both GCSEs and A-levels has come under fire for putting students off.

Article: Here

To be honest:

What do students actually think it would be? Playing around on flash games and "doing" Word? :rolleyes:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. ericrollo
      ericrollo
      less people doing computing is a good thing
    2. Obinna Osobalu
      Obinna Osobalu
      I think I know where you are going with this. :lol:
    3. Qs
      Qs
      I don't know if it's the same now-a-days but I had the option of doing IT/Computing for both GCSE and A-Levels. I made the concious choice not to do such a course as 'core' subjects such as English, Maths and Physics were viewed far more favourably by universities offering computer related degrees (Computer Science etc).

Plus there's the added benefit that with an A Level in Maths/Physics you open the door to more opportunities as these subjects complement most jobs very well.

My two pennies. Any thoughts?

Qs
      Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    4. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      Have you seen the A-level ICT spec? I had a look at OCRs offering and I wasn't much impressed. The focus on theory is probably what puts a lot of people off, you spend your first unit digging through 'what is data' etc. And there does seem to be a lot in there about business proccesses etc. This is whats turning students off.

If I was writing a spec for an ICT A-level I'd focus on practical application, get them building software to a defined spec, building and upgrading PCs etc. The business process stuff they can learn later, give them a grounding in the ins and outs of actual computing and you'll see an increase in uptake.