Techies 'unhealthiest workers'

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 17, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Techies 'unhealthiest workers'

IT workers are the unhealthiest in the UK, according to a recent survey.

Less than one in five people employed in the tech sector said that they met government targets of doing at least five 30-minute exercise sessions a week, according to the study by weight loss agency Fat Free Fitness.

This was coupled with most IT workers admitting having a poor diet. Only 14 per cent say that they ate at least five daily portions of fruit and vegetables and most admitting to drinking more than ten cups of coffee a day.

Rich Leigh, a personal trainer and founder of Fat Free Fitness, said that the government should be doing more to encourage employers and workers to be more active.

Full story : HERE

Thanks to Josiahb for spotting this one

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      You are correct sir, the nanny state has provided an easy target for blame in recent times and the cry of 'the government should do more' has become so over used as to make it ridiculous.

The government should do less imo, get out of my life and stop trying to raise peoples kids, pay their bills and otherwise try to turn us into lazy disrespectful wasters.
    2. carl2010
      carl2010
      For me the biggest concern is back problems due to shortening of hip flexor being sat down too long. I have been helped alot by the instructors at my gym they would help anyone else too at if you ask them
      Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    3. Gingerdave
      Gingerdave
      Good bit of necomany there carl!

However welcome to the forums, why not post an intro and let us know what you are all about.
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I know what he's all about.

:spam
    5. AgentDRL
      AgentDRL
      To lose fat, you don't need to do any CV. The more muscle you have on you is burning fat even when you're sat down. The key element is diet. It's 90% what you put in your mouth and 10% training. Doing 2-3 weight sessions per week, full body routine in each one should have you feeling puffed out, so there shouldn't be any need for CV work (although I do recommend a warm up and cool down CV stuff). Weight training burns more calories long after you've stopped training than what CV does.

But anyway :biggrin!
    6. Len
      Len
      So its safe to assume that every fat person I see on the bus/train/tram on my way to and from work are IT techs?
    7. Gingerdave
      Gingerdave
      Hey! I resemble that remark!
    8. Len
      Len
      :ninja
    9. Sco0t
      Sco0t
      Regardless of what time you work you can stay healthy - Who need's machines in the gym and treadmills.

Get on the running shoes..go a run 3x a week (any time of the day) and get yourself a set of dumbbells and do some good old situps/pressups & crunches that's what I do.

So tbh there is no excuse cause the beauty of the above is you can do it anytime!