Study: Training Leads to Promotion, Employee Retention

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Mar 1, 2004.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

[​IMG]<font size="3">Study: Training Leads to Promotion, Employee Retention</font>

Investing in training could be a good step toward a promotion, according to a survey by The Training Camp.

The November 2003 survey showed that of the more than 500 IT employees polled (including contract workers), 87 percent were promoted after taking a training course or certification program.

In addition, 82 percent of survey takers returned to their current job after participating in a training course or certification program. Over half of those polled were lucky enough to have company-sponsored training.

Full Story: mcpmag.com

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Cool but I'd like a second opinion from a less biased source than mcp mag. After all, they're in the business of selling cert programs. I'm not saying this to knock certs or even to say it's untrue...just that MS and Co. don't always play with a completely straightforward rule book.
    2. Phil
      Phil
      Well I wouldn't say I'm less biased but for me the certs have done me the world of good, I seemed to be getting nowhere fast without them. As soon as I got my head down and got on with them my career started moving :)
    3. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Actually Phil, statements like that from you and other folks in the industry mean a lot more to me than someone saying that who is trying to sell a certification study course. The question about how certifications really impact an IT career is hotlly debated from time to time. In the dot.com boom days, all you needed was a certification and you were treated like gold.

Now, you really have to be able to produce and I suspect that people with certifications are viewed a little more realistically than perhaps they once were. I think that certifications can be thought of as one leg of a tripod. The other two legs would be education (and a degree) and experience. That's what an employer is going to be looking for. Not only the training and the paperwork that establishes you've been properly trained, but the experience and track record as well. Has this person shown they can really produce?

Of course, we all had to start somewhere. I remember vividly that first call from a recruiter asking if I could take on a job tomorrow (please drop everything else you are doing and do this for me instead). That offer was made solely on the strength of my resume posted on the internet. At that point, I just had the A+ which is all the job required so I have to say that certifications are definiately worth something. Still, unless you plan on doing one-day hardware installs for the rest of your life, it's going to take more to build a career. Certifications are most certainly an important part of it all, but not the sole component.
    4. Phil
      Phil
      Absolutely, I totally agree. The certs do seem to make you stand out when employers are recruiting. Check if the person is qualified then examine what experience they have and make sure they can do the job. Which of course is the eternal IT catch 22, no experience without a job and no job without experience. This industry seems to have a lot more being in the right place at the right time about it than most others.
    5. JK
      JK
      Jollygreen if your lurking read the above, proof that hard work will pay off in the end.

Phil can I ask how long you worked towards your certs and what job you did before.

JK
    6. statto123
      statto123
      Hi chaps

Totally agree with the comments made on here. I was in the same postion, i am only a MOUS master and i had countless job applications and interviews. Where i answer the ad and it had the spec s of the job e.g must be qualified in all aspects of microsoft office products excel, outlook , powerpoint etc. Always use to get letters back saying Sorry but your not on the short, we don,t think u are qualified for this postion. Even at some interviews they seemed really keen...But a few days later the old letter would come though saying We enjoy your interview,but sorry to say you have not been selected :x
      I did work for a year on Nights working for sainsburys stacking shelves as i needed the money etc, while studying and taking exams. Still having rejection letters For help desk jobs, due to having no experience etc. I decided to take another path and thought i apply for a postion at NTL. As as customer service rep, i thought i stay at this job for 6 months and then move on. I got the job i think though the certs i obtain though my studying and started the training for 2 weeks and then went on the phones. The Job it self is not too bad, i have more good days than bad. I decided to stay with NTL as it paid more then some of the I.T help desk jobs now i see in the local paper, roughly around 1500 pounds more. I know NTL takes alot of flack and sometimes it is for good reason. But i dont have too many people scream on the phone. The perks are good with 2 bonus a year and discounted broadband and tv products :D
      I still look in the papers from time to time and still see some ad,s asking for help desk jobs from 10500- 12000 per year. I glad i made the change that i did :)
      I just saying that having the certs i obtained did help alot lol

Take care for now
    7. Phil
      Phil
      JK

I spent a bit less than a year doing my MCSE, I just wrote off any social life and spent nearly all my spare time studying. It was well worth it though, those four little letters were the key to progressing my career. I've been working with computers in a few jobs for the last 10 years, before that I worked in a SPAR shop which completely did my head in.