So… about that price increase (Microsoft)

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

So… about that price increase

Yes, it’s true: we’re raising our MCP exam prices for the first time in almost a decade. (Technically, I should probably say "changing" since not every country will see an increase, but for most of you, it's an increase.) The new prices go into effect on July 1st (August 1st in India).

(If you haven’t already, read the announcement and FAQ before going any further.)

Why? And Why Now?

This probably isn’t welcome news—especially if you’re already in progress towards your certification and you’ve planned your budget carefully. (If this includes you, keep reading to find out how to lock in our current pricing for a while longer.) After all, who would want to pay more for something than they had planned to?

No one enjoys paying higher prices, which is why no one really gets excited about having to ask their customers to do so, especially in our business, where our mission is to make successful careers in technology as attainable as possible. That’s why we’ve held the line on our pricing for more than nine years through two global recessions—a pretty tough feat (and yes, we’re kind of proud of that).

But eventually, a decade of both increasing costs catches up to any business, and like any responsible business, we have to re-balance the scales from time to time if we’re going to continue to improve, innovate, and respond to customer requests.

Read the rest of the announcement here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Rob1234
      Rob1234
      I am all for the price rise, the higher the cost the less people will do the exams and my certs will stand out more :D
    2. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Great so instead of education or knowledge we have a piece of paper people buy to distinguish themselves ?

This is in direct conflict with a meritocracy and most peoples aspirations for education and society.

It won't happen because the certifications are cheaper in the third world, people there can braindump a dozen certs for a few hundred pounds. Which hardly makes you 'stand out'.

A PhD from MIT would make you stand out, unfortunatley its likely to cost you $300K+, so kinda proves your point.
      Last edited: May 2, 2011
    3. samlea72
      samlea72
      Yes, its up to $150 now and someone else posted a rant about this topic in the general microsoft cert discussion about the price increase and the economy, pretty interesting!