Santa Claus worm strikes IM clients

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Dec 21, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Santa Claus worm strikes IM clients

We've had Dasher trying to disrupt computers over the Xmas period, now Santa Claus himself is trying to get in on the action. Rather than targeting Windows machines though, the new IM.GiftCom.All worm is using instant messaging to spread its unjolly message. The worm promises to take users of AOL, Yahoo and Microsoft's IM software to a festive Santa site. But clicking on the link will take users to a different site where a malicious file is downloaded to your computer. The file is difficult to detect with conventional anti-virus tools and also attempts to shut down anti-virus software while it collects personal information, then redistributed over the Internet.

To read the whole story, click Here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. _omni_
      _omni_
      ha!, sweet :biggrin
    2. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      It beats me why they include a file transfer option in these IM programs. I can understand the fun in sending the odd jpg file but surely it would make sense to limit the functionality to just those.

By allowing the transfer of other file extensions, it opens up another way into your network for viruses to spread.

In this case the nasty is spread via a link to a URL. I wonder whether the URL affects all browsers or is it just another Microsoft/IE vunerability. The link you provided doesn't make this clear Trip :rolleyes: