Russians start selling Wi-Fi encryption cracker

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Russians start selling Wi-Fi encryption cracker

The Russian security company that caused a stir some months by talking up its cracking tool for recovering Wi-Fi encryption keys, has started selling its software to all-comers in a specially packaged product.

Normally, running a tool to do this on a conventional Intel Core 2 Duo desktop PC would take months to brute force even a single 8-character WPA/WPA2-PSK password, of which there are trillions of possible alpha-numeric combinations at that bit length.

Elcomsoft claims that Wireless Security Auditor 1.0 can perform the same function by capturing traffic from a Wi-Fi connection using a separate packet sniffer, processing the data through up to four high-end graphics cards in order to retrieve the password in a fraction of that time.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Once again, use a spiteful passphrase of more than 20 characters and their brute force tool would take so long to crack it as to be absolutely worthless. All this tool does is speed up brute forcing of pointlessly short passwords. I'm not impressed. If they showed me a 'real' crack for WPA2-PSK - THEN I'd be impressed.
    2. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      I was chatting about this with one of our programmers the other week. Apparently a password along the lines of followtheyellowbrickroad or similar would take around a billion (or some such ridiculous figure) years to crack with current brute force tools.

And let's face it, phrases like that aren't hard to remember! :)