Retain Your Value With Recertification

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Retain Your Value With Recertification

It seems as if every business article or report you see lately starts with a mention of the economic downturn. As a result, not only is having a credential of value increasingly beneficial for an IT professional, but keeping that certification current is paramount.

Yet, as purse strings tighten and head counts shrink, IT professionals must weigh the benefits of recertification with the time and money investment involved. Those considering recertification also should be aware of several key trends in the industry before taking the plunge.

To help the decision along, let’s take a look at some of the critical factors involved, including the standard preparation time, durability of the credential, date stamping, cost and requirements.

Read the rest of the article here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      My value is retained whether I recert or not, certification bodies are not the arbiter of my value. They are merely a very rough indication of some level of understanding and a marketing tool to combat recruiters.

Recertification seems largely a scam to grow the certification market in order to benefit the certification industry.

Why settle for a one off profit when you can have a regular income ?

Thats why CertMag, the PR arm of the industry is pushing such stuff.

Do I forget everything I know every three years ? Then why should I lose 100% of a cert ? Do I wish to swot up on the same material every three years ? Does this really add value to the employers and cert holders or future students ?

I'd far rather see people embark on research projects and grow in real terms, rather than jump through endless hoops to maintain a credential that has limited real world value.

Turning education into a purely commercial endevour has real dangers and those dangers are evident today everywhere in the cert industry.