Register for Beta Exam 71-652: TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Register for Beta Exam 71-652: TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring

You are invited to take beta exam 71-652: TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring. If you pass the beta exam, the exam credit will be added to your transcript and you will not need to take the exam in its released form. The 71-xxx identifier is used for registering for beta versions of MCP exams, when the exam is released in its final form the 70-xxx identifier is used for registration. By participating in beta exams, you have the opportunity to provide the Microsoft Certification program with feedback about exam content, which is integral to development of exams in their released version. We depend on the contributions of experienced IT professionals and developers as we continually improve exam content and maintain the value of Microsoft certifications.

70-652: TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring counts as credit towards the following certification(s): MCTS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration

Other info:
    Registration begins: June 2, 2008
    Beta exam period runs: June 3, 2008– June 23, 2008
    Use the following promotional code when registering for the exam: 652HV

For the full article, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Thanks Ken.

I would sooo much like to try this; however, I have never used Winserver2008, and I haven't even played that much with Virtual server or PC to make it worthwhile. It certainly looks good though.

A pity... I assume you're going to give it a go? If so, let me know how you get on.

Cheers.
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Depends if my local testing centre can get it's Prometric testing centre sorted, I don't fancy driving 2 hours to get to my next closest testing centre (had a bad experience last time driving up - pre getting my sat nav). It would be an interesting one, as I'm currently using Hyper-V to virtualise a couple of my servers.

-Ken
    3. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      well, since its something I have an interest in, and I havent got anything else booked in for next Wednesday morning I booked myself in for this.

I expect to fail, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot in the process.

8)
    4. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Have you actually used it in anger though?
    5. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      sure have. virtualization is something that I'm quite involved in at work. I'll be doing my VCP exam soon too.....If they ever let us have the vouchers (six weeks after doing the course..... :dry )
    6. Luddym
      Luddym
      Ahhh VCP.... now that's an interesting exam!
    7. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      I booked this in for next wednesday
      I've barely touched hyper V in a working state
      all the previous versions had bugs galore in them
      must see if i can throw something together, but in all fairness I'm packing up to move, so i might just wing it and see how i do, worked ok for Ex 2007 :)
    8. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      sat this this morning. seem like a straight forward exam if you know your subject.

I got a bit lost in the more enterprise level things that I don't touch, but then again I knew I would.

I'm fairly sure that had I known more on those areas I'd have had a good chance, but since I didn't I just took my best guess.

Should the resluts come back saying I've failed (as I expect) at least I will know where I need to brush up my knowledge on.

8)
    9. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Sat it this morning, here I my thoughts/tips

Firstly, its longer than most the MS exams you will be used to, won't say any more than that

You will need to be familiar with more than just Hyper-v, you will need to know a fair bit about Windows Server 2008 (a given) but lots of other products that tie in with Hyper-V (Systems Center, Powershell, Operations Manager, etc)

You need to know how the whole system works together, unfortunately I am not clued up on Systems Center and my Hyper-V practice is slim to say the least, but I gave it a good shot, hopfully my enterprise experience counted for something, but I'm not overly familiar with all the new 2008 bits and bobs yet

Atleast it was good prep, and exposed a little bit more about what Hyper-V can actually do
    10. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Thanks for the info Ryan. Do you have to wait for your result?
    11. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      yeah usually 8 - 12 weeks after the exam beta ends
      I don't tend to get my hopes up for beta exams, so it usually is just a little surprise in the mail down the line :)
      I'll defineitly sit it again if i don't manage it, virtualisation is my job after all, need to play with hyper-v much more once my move is complete
    12. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      The results are in......Failed! :biggrin
    13. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      At least you'll be a little more prepared next time :)

-Ken
    14. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Got my results in

I had not really used Hyper-V prior to sitting the test, and it showed, although my virtualization experience clearly came in to play

I got 661 on the beta, and needed 700 for a pass
      that was no prep, no prior hyper-v experience

a lot of the let down was some of the specific Microsoft supporting technologies that were asked about, again a lot changed in 2k8 and I was not familiar with the terms

Since playing around with hyper-v, 2k8 clusters and SCVMM I feel much better equipped and will sit this again as soon as I have a bit of income :)
    15. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Cool :)

Considering that you said that you had no experience and got 661, that's not bad.

-Ken