Redundant staff 'have a six month window'

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 24, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Redundant staff 'have a six month window'

People who lose their jobs have six months before the situation impacts on their employment prospects, according to a new study.

Workers who are made redundant have a six month window before they are viewed as being long-term unemployed, according to new research.

A study by the Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) revealed that while losing your job does not initially carry any sort of stigma, after half a year has passed a quarter of employers are less likely to hire someone.

Article

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Breaker
      Breaker
      I have similar problems with being viewed as long term unemployed. 1 and half years and still looking for a long term position. Like people have said, I try to explain my situation through the covering letter. I find it difficult, not to end up writing , a long story stating why I’m unemployed, the challenges I have faced, why things went wrong etc. At the end of it I often feel like it’s a bunch of excuses that have been cobbled together, and I can’t help but feel anyone reading it will think: why do I want to read through this self pitying drivel? I guess, the hard thing to do, is to strike the balance between being seen as apologist for your apparent 'failure' and giving valid reasons why (possibly through little fault of your own) your unemployed.
    2. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Yes, it can be difficult to explain circumstances but in the current economic situation the length of time perhaps has less of an impact. I've not found it an area of discussion with recruiters or in interview situations. Currently employers are more concerned with skilsets and experience from what I've found.