Recession reveals the value of qualifications

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, May 31, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Recession reveals the value of qualifications

Every year employers say they struggle to find recruits with the right skills to help them continue to grow their businesses. Despite the economic downturn, demand for BCS professional qualifications from public and private organisations, as well as individuals, continues to grow.

It is precisely those qualified staff who will help employers get through the tough times ahead.

There’s no disputing the evidence that belonging to a professional organisation and being professionally qualified can improve a person’s career prospects. According to a recent report by the Consultative Committee for Professional Management Organisations, a member of a professional body with recognised professional qualifications will be paid about 37 per cent more during their working lifetime – three times more than those who have GCSEs and A-levels, and they will earn more than £60,000 more in total than those with a degree.

"Full Story: Link"

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Where is this 'research' ? Was it related specifically to the IT industry ? What qualifications ensured these 37% pay differentials ? How do they know it was the qualification and not different experience levels, how did they make the comparison ?

Again another article with bold statements and no facts.

I've seen some pretty dubious gartner reports in my time too.

The only ISEB qualification I've seen recognised in the market is their testing cert. I've never heard of anyone fail it, and its normally awarded after a one week course. Hardly makes a candidate better qualified than a computer science degree.

Personally I think its just this sort of woolly thinking, mis-marketing and poor writing that dooms most IT projects...
    2. Pheonicks56
      Pheonicks56

This is just a load of horse hockey. Plain and simple, holding a certificate in anything is not going to guarantee a candidate to earn that kind of money over a candidate with a degree throughout their lifetime. Two months of intense self study for a cert over 4 years of slaving away at a degree... come on you do the math.

3. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      lol, by all accounts (since I have a degree, a member of a couple of Professional Organisations and the MCSE - granted it wasn't issued by a training company, hopefully that won't make a difference) I should be earning: £120,000, or there abouts :biggrin

-Ken
    4. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      How'd you get to that £120k figure ken ? :blink

I think they mean £60k more earned over a degree qualified candidate in a lifetime, thats like £2k a year on a 30 year career. Which is still dubious because I'd expect the degree candidate to have the advantage. What proportion of these people also have degrees ?

Of course to get the true ROI you'd have to take into account the cost of training, which is now considerable for a degree, say £10k, plus loss of earnings, say £70k, plus inflation. Why would people give up £80k+ and three years if they can just sit a one week course at £1,600 for a ISEB cert instead ?

The 37% seems to relate to anyone with further education, which is pretty reasonable because they are probably comparing some skilled to some unskilled labour.
    5. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Wha ? You mean you're not ? ! :eek:
    6. JK2447
      JK2447
      Ha ha I know yeah, come on Ken, we've all seen you in your Bentley :lol: