Play the Certification Game to Win

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Jan 6, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Play the Certification Game to Win

Certification – it's expensive, and it's hard work. So is it worth it, to get a few letters after your name? That's the $64,000 question. The first thing to think about is what a certification like Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) actually means. It shows prospective employers that you know certain things, but plenty of networking professionals also know those things without necessarily having a certification to prove it. So, particularly with the lower-level certifications, an employer may be less impressed with the certification than with a few years' experience. A common mistake among IT rookies is the assumption that a low-level certification will open the door to IT jobs. It doesn't.

To read the rest, go to ServerWatch.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      Great Find Trip!

It basicaly re opens up the whole to get certified or not debate.

8)
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Sometimes I think we fall back into the trap of automatically assuming that certification is the path to riches and glory. I posted this to hopefully, give people a chance to stop and think about certification and career decisions. It's good to shake up assumptions once in a while.
    3. zimbo
      zimbo
      im going to stire the pot a little too with simons help.. a degree.. what value does that have in todays market?
    4. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      I would suppose that it depends on what the degree is in, and how it relates to the role that you carry out.

I would put forward more from my perspective, but I'm currently rather tired and can't think what I want to say properly.

8)
    5. zimbo
      zimbo
      no worries mate... computer networking is what ill be starting..
    6. Sparky
      Sparky
      A degree can open doors in regard to landing a ‘graduate scheme’ type job which always have far too many applicants. When I had interviews for jobs like that it would often involve taking more tests, so what’s the point of having a degree? I’ll stick my neck out and say that the Human Resources department in any company are using these tests as a safety net when taking on a graduate.

Lets say for example you landed a ‘graduate scheme’ type job and it didn’t work out for whatever reason then the HR staff would say “Well they passed the tests we gave them at the interview” to get themselves off the hook. That’s my opinion anyway.

In regard to certs the posted article is accurate, especially as many clients who are looking for contracted IT support often ask if the support staff are certified to get an idea of the quality of support before signing on the dotted line. :biggrin
    7. zimbo
      zimbo
      the way i asked it was does a degree help with finding a job?

2nd you got a masters.. has it helped you land a job in the industry?
    8. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      A couple of thoughts.

Degrees last forever and certs expire so that makes a degree attractive to me. However, when I went to school a degree was not an option for me or any other pupil from that school that I am aware of.

In those days (circa 1970), only professional people went for degrees, doctors lawyers etc or kids from very well off families.

Nowadays degrees are open to all and sundry and if you don't have one you could miss out on an opportunity here and there but I am sure you will succeed one way or the other, for where there is a will, there is a way :biggrin
    9. Sparky
      Sparky
      Everyone has their own story about they landed their first job in IT, it could because they graduated from university and landed a graduate scheme job or it could be that they have an A+ cert and managed to get an entry level IT job for example.

My degree did help me land my first full time job but after graduating I did some freelance programming and supported a small network (5 PCs) for a friend to get that all important commercial experience.

When you graduate there is a lot of work to do to land your first job, be prepared to send out loads of C.Vs, fill out on-line forms, phone people and generally keep motivated. Don’t worry though, once you land your first job it will be worth it! :biggrin
    10. arisen
      arisen
      Good article, but...

"Everyone and their dog has got a CCNA certification these days, so it doesn't mean much."

Surely not??? Does this image of the CCNA still persist?
    11. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      arisen, keep in mind that there is at least some *opinion* inserted in the article. It's designed to make you think and to question certain assumptions, not necessarily to be taken as 100% fact.
    12. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      It's not an opinion that I have heard banded around.

Since when do dogs get certs? I realise some animals can get certified in IT if they are trained properly, even armadillos and monkeys but dogs, no way!