Opera Eliminates Ad Banner and Licensing Fee

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Sep 20, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Opera Eliminates Ad Banner and Licensing Fee

Opera Software today permanently removed the ad banner and licensing fee from its award-winning Web browser. The ad-free, full-featured Opera browser is now available for download - completely free of charge – at http://www.opera.com. "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera browser."

For the rest of the article, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Good find Trip, it was the advertising banners that put me off Opera years ago, otherwise I thought it was pretty good then. It must be an even better product now, I will check it out when I have more time.

Pete
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I downloaded it onto my laptop. Very different from IE or Firefox, tho is has some Firefox features like tabbed browsing. If you close the Opera and later re-open it, it will open to the last page you visited. Interesting.
    3. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Yes that could be a good feature but also it could prove embarassing in certain circumstances. If you catch my drift :oops:
    4. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Opera doesnt have features like firefox
      Firefox has features like opera!

Opera had tabs 5 years ago
      Opera had saved sessions, user agent switching, mouse gestures (built into the binary so shedloads more responsive than FFs extensions) 5 years ago!

Opera also has a smaller and faster binary than firefox, go figure

Opera is so good that I bought a license lol, now its free maybe more people will make the switch
      Browser competition is for the best really anyway, as it encourages web developers to not be lazy gimps and code only for IE

cant wait to try a beta of Merlin! (Opera 9)
    5. moominboy
      moominboy
      so you kinda like opera then phoenix?! lol, :)

recommend a trial then?
    6. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Operas very standards compliant, meaning there are a few sites that just dont work with it, saying that ive found the same true of Firefox, just different sites
      i use FF at work, some of the extensions are well handy
      I use Opera at home because its great, and ive used it since before FF existed, its nice to see those features become part of FF via extneions, but they are not as responsive for the most part, recently i tried to 'just use FF' in an experiment, it works, but im torn back to opera I feel :)

give it a go, cant go wrong with a 3mb binary :D
    7. moominboy
      moominboy
      just trying out opera now phoenix and the first thing i noticed is how fast it is! switching back and forward straight away.

may take a while to get used to it but it definitely seems to be a good un!
    8. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I have been test driving Opera for the last hour or so, and I would also recommend that others give it a try. So far I am impressed 8)

Pete
    9. snoopy51
      snoopy51
      Opera is a very fast browser. Opera does not have as many "extension" as Firefox. Nevertheless, it is an excellent browser.

Prior to this new release, I used this browser sparingly because of ads. Now, there is no excuse. :D