NJ teen unlocks iPhone from AT&T network

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Aug 24, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

NJ teen unlocks iPhone from AT&T network

Armed with a soldering iron and a large supply of energy drinks, a slight, curly haired teenager has developed a way to make the iPhone, arguably the gadget of the year, available to a much wider audience. George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., spent his last summer before college figuring out how to "unlock" the iPhone, freeing it from being restricted to a single carrier, AT&T Inc. The procedure, which the 17-year-old laid out on his blog Thursday, raises the possibility of a cottage industry springing up to buy iPhones, unlocking them and then selling them to people who don't want AT&T service or can't get it, particularly overseas.

Read the rest at Yahoo News.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Mitzs
      Mitzs
      Thats a smart kid, and I'm glad it wasn't illegal so he didn't get in trouble. The iphone would be no good to anyone here where I live. AT&T is the only carrrier that works here. The Walmart here actuall sells a cell phone that you buy mins for. The only thing is that carrier does not have a tower here and it will not work off of verizons. I was like you know that carrier is not here why did you buy the dam thing? Their anwser was, they thought it would work because walmart sold it here. :blink This explains why I'm always working on their puters...
    2. hippy
      hippy
      Saw that on the bbc news website. So hes the second guy to unlock it :D. Will be good when someone does a rather nice software unlock.
    3. grim
      grim
      well i'm ok as o2 have the contract to sell the iphones over here and i'm already a customer although it may be a while before i'll get it on a free upgrade lol

grim
    4. hippy
      hippy
      Had a contract upgrade from 02 yesterday and the best phone they offered was that new nokia one, n95?
    5. grim
      grim
      thats because the iphone hasnt been launched over here yet.

i've been due for an upgrade for a few weeks now, havent got round to doing it yet due to me moving.

grim
    6. hippy
      hippy

yer i know the iphone isnt out here yet :P Well, in a legal way anyway.