New version of Sober worm pretends to be an email from FBI or CIA

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Nov 22, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

New version of Sober worm pretends to be an email from FBI or CIA

Internet users are being warned of an in-the-wild worm which is pretending to be an email from an FBI or CIA investigator.

In the last four hours, the worm has accounted for over 35% of all viruses reported to Sophos, making it currently the most prevalent virus spreading across the world. The FBI is so concerned about the messages that it has issued a warning on its website.

The new version of the Sober worm arrives as an email attachment, with the following message body:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.

Important: Please answer our questions! The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,
    Steven Allison
    Federal Bureau of Investigation-FBI-
    935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW , Room 3220
    Washington , DC 20535
    Phone: (202) 324-30000

(Sometimes the emails claim to come from the same investigator, but at the CIA.)

Anyone gotten an e-mail from an intimidating government agency lately? -Trip

To read the rest, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Hard to say really Trip - pretty much just the standard MI6 "we're after you, Jakamoto" affairs. :rolleyes:
    2. nugget
      nugget
      We got hit with this one a lot. But then we are a biotech company and the CIA might think we make bio -warfare weapons. Hmm, they might be real after all.:dry
    3. Boycie
      Boycie
      aye, the warning from Trend micro popped up on my Windows system tonight- i have set it to download updates as they come out :rolleyes:
    4. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      But I have a dynamic IP, how did the CIA know that I post on this illegal site :eek:
    5. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      You haven't been wearing your tin foil hat, and the CIA is reading your brain waves. We don't have to intercept your TCP/IP traffic to know what you are doing.... We have gone far beyond that old technology. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    6. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      It's the *we* thing that really worries me :eek:
    7. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    8. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      I had a user with this yesterday. the guy opened the email! updated the AV and scanned the C: drive but it didnt turn anything up. might have to take another look at it.
    9. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      I got this in email from our postmaster this morning:
    10. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      You did take the offending user outside to the car park and shoot him until dead, didn't you, Fergal ?
    11. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      tempting. look on the bright side though. at least he had the presence to call us. i mean, far too bloody late, but at least the thought was there (nothing had gone tits up yet)

Fergal
    12. tripwire45
      tripwire45
    13. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
    14. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I'm not saying one darn thing. :tongue

[​IMG]
    15. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      This quote comes from Trips link...

Fergal make sure the virus scanner is working properly and hasn't been disabled in any way by the virus.
    16. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      its Mcafee so it should be fine, but as soon as the damn user gives me his IP, im going to search for what it sticks in.