Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

Discussion in 'News' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

To read the rest of the article, click here.

Any views on this guys?

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. ThomasMc
      ThomasMc
      Nothing new Mr Cheeks although I would be more worried about the satellites and then theres 2029 when Apophis will be in town :D
      Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    2. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Aye, I've got some views. Well, one really - its all bollocks.
    3. JK2447
      JK2447
      Ah yes I believe Stephen Hawking was quoted as saying the very same :biggrin
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Yeah, they said this 11 years ago... and 11 years before that... and 11 years before that... :rolleyes:
    5. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Sounds great.

Unfortunately whenever they predict these massive disasters, it always ends up being a little blip - like a gnat's fart in a tornado.

You watch. We'll all be panic buying batteries and bottled water and all that will happen is there'll be a bit of interferance on ITV2.

Can't wait.
    6. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      Can anyone say y2k bug?

Ridiculous levels of hysteria, people thinking planes will fall out of the sky and christ knows what else.... What actually happened? Some complete tit spilled champagne on me and we all carried on with the party.

I can see MS turning off every installed copy of XP and blaming it on solar flares though, anything to finally kill the (by then) decrepit elderly beast.
    7. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Throwing around a little FUD of your own, Josiah? XP is nowhere near a "decrepit elderly beast". :rolleyes:
      Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    8. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      Sorry, should have been clearer, thats not my opinion of XP (although I no longer use it the rest of the company still does and its rock solid as far as we're concerned) that statement was meant to relate to Microsoft's view of an operating system which is now 2 versions behind their current offering and not what they'd prefer to spend their time selling/supporting.
    9. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Gotcha. Though, that's not really Microsoft's true view of XP. The only reason they are eventually going to stop supporting it isn't because it's flawed, but because they want to sell copies of their new OSes. Nothing wrong with that... that's just good business. I just wanted to set the record straight regarding Microsoft's opinion of XP.
    10. nugget
      nugget
      ....blah blah blah......world destruction..........blah blah blah.........dangerous.......blah blah blah........critical........blah blah blah........world destruction........blah blah blah.......need more money for research.........blah blah blah......wor.....ad infinitum.
    11. supernova
      supernova
      Wait until the earths poles flip that would be a laugh if you were still around :biggrin
    12. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      Yeah its all crap its like this climate change bollocks and people saying you should drive a toyota pryus, when its been proven that more damage is done to the environment in creating a pryus than it does to get 6.2 litre corvette and drive it around the world :D

If its not one type of disaster that's gonna kill us all it's another, they just make it all up probably so people spend money on things they dont need and so some fat cat makes money.
    13. ThomasMc
      ThomasMc
      I take it most of you arn't into astronomy? :D
    14. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      Nah stars n stuff wont kill us. We will all be long gone before anything from space hits us, because we will all have been killed of when none of us can afford pay the tax on breathing air that will eventually come into force :D
    15. LukeP
      LukeP
      Can someone let me know few months before confirmed end of the world? I'll stop paying my credit cards back.

... Oh wait. Wasn't it supposed to happen at least 10 times in last 10 years?
    16. ThomasMc
      ThomasMc
      Tbf he's hardly saying it will be the end of the world or us.
    17. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      No. It hasn't.
    18. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I sure am - I'm even a Physics minor. Which is exactly why I think this is a load of FUD. There may indeed be problems and outages and inconveniences and malfunctions... but devastation?? Come on, now...
    19. JK2447
      JK2447
      I took this as my reward for passing my Comp Sci degree :D