Microsoft's antivirus deletes users' emails

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Mar 10, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Microsoft's antivirus deletes users' emails

Microsoft has admitted that its Live OneCare security suite has been accidentally deleting some users' Outlook and Outlook Express emails. According to postings on Microsoft's OneCare forum, erasures have been caused when the antivirus programme finds a virus in an email attachment. Instead of then quarantining that single email, users have reported that entire .pst or .dbx files — the personal folder where non-Exchange Server users' messages and other details are kept — have been quarantined or, in some cases, even deleted.

Read the rest at ZDNet.co.uk.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Sheesh, think i'll stick with AVG :biggrin
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Ooooops.

Guess I won't be switching to OneScare anytime soon. :blink
    3. nugget
      nugget
      It's not really a new phenomenen for me. I've been having the same problem with Symantec doing the same thing for 3 years now. Just another case of sloppy programming and the rush to market with new features without fixing the old bugs.:dry
    4. tripwire45
    5. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      :lol: :tongue The OneCare system deletes all e-mails that have been sent from a non-microsoft e-mail client as they aren't as secure as MS e-mail clients. :lol: :tongue

I'm surprised that line hasn't been used yet.

-ken
    6. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Symantec and Norton have done just the same thing in the past
      its an unfortunate event when it happens but its the nature of a program thats designed to remove/quarantine data that it ocassionaly cocks up

I had a client whos norton system deleted the entire file server of files instead of cleaning them!!!
      lol

I think its very important that it should of been halted or stopped as soon as it was noticed, is OneCare not the online package that MS offer for that sort of service, or is it an actual software app, if there was any scope for MS admins to intervene they should of at the earliest possible point
      that said people whould have an appropriate backup system for the level of data involved, if they care about it, back it up
      if they REALLY care about it, back it up twice!