Microsoft warns of 5 "critical" security flaws

Discussion in 'News' started by zimbo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Microsoft warns of 5 "critical" security flaws

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday warned of five "critical" security flaws in its Windows operating system and Office software that could allow attackers to take control of a computer.

Microsoft, whose Windows operating system runs on 90 percent of the world's computers, issued patches to fix the problems as part of its monthly security bulletin.

The world's biggest software maker defines a flaw as "critical" when the vulnerability could allow a damaging Internet worm to replicate without the user doing anything to the machine.

Two of the critical flaws related to Windows and the other three to earlier versions of Office. More recent versions of Office and two other bulletins for Windows received security warnings rated at the second-highest level of "important."

The company has been working for more than three years to improve the security and reliability of its software as more and more malicious software target weaknesses in Windows and other Microsoft software.

The latest patches can be downloaded at www.microsoft.com/security

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Boycie
      Boycie
      Read a small article about this yesturday in Computer Weekly- not as in depth as the link mind :thumbleft
    2. Mitzs
      Mitzs
      Dang, by the time I get back online with my laptop, my first day will be spent installing patches. :(

And no freddy, I'm not switching to linux no matter how much I like thier bird. :)
    3. nugget
      nugget
      Has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Bird indeed.:biggrin
    4. zimbo
      zimbo
      LOL you like my bird? :D
    5. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Well, Mitz, I can always flip you the bird.... :twisted: :biggrin :biggrin

Sorry, just couldn't resist. You just set it up too well....
    6. tripwire45
    7. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      Maybe the title should read:

Microsoft warns of ANOTHER 5 "critical" security flaws. :twisted:
    8. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      How about: As usual MS warns of at least another 5 critical security flaws.... :twisted:
    9. Mitzs
      Mitzs
      lol, he so cute he is sexy. :)
    10. Mitzs
      Mitzs
      Love ya to freddy! :p
    11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
      UCHEEKYMONKEY
      :lol: "The company has been working for more than three years to improve the security and reliability of its software as more and more malicious software target weaknesses in Windows and other Microsoft software."

That's a laugh!

And yet people will still prefer to use MS software then use a more reliable (not sure if that's the correct spelling...the beer is finally kicking in) :alc
      realiable..err real oh bug#er it! Trust worthy software like linux