Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Dec 19, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

With the recent release of Microsoft's newest potential cash cows, Windows Vista and Office 2007, the company is expecting a wave of upgrades from users seeking the latest functionality. But what if you're not looking for new bells and whistles? What if you want to keep your old operating systems, such as Windows 2000, running as long as possible? Microsoft isn't making it easy for you. Office 2007 and the software for the company's much-hyped Zune music player won't install on Windows 2000. As other new products emerge from Microsoft in 2007 and beyond, more and more of them are likely to leave Windows 2000 out of the party. Which of these installation restrictions are caused by a real lack of capabilities in Windows 2000, however? Are any of them merely a "squeeze play" by Microsoft to convince buyers that it's necessary to immediately upgrade all PCs to Vista and all servers to Server 2003 or the forthcoming Longhorn Server?

Finish reading this story at InformationWeek.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Not rambling at all - makes perfect sense to me. My knowledge of DOS (and before - way back to my Commodore stuff) is still useful today... it built the foundation upon which I place everything else.

Put it this way... Vista's been out the same length of time for pretty much everyone. How are some of us better able to learn (or, in my case, write) about it? Only because we've got a good solid foundation to build upon. All we have to do is learn the changes and we're good to go. New techs have to start from scratch. Eventually, they'll be where we are today.
    2. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      And where will we be? :ohmy :eek: :biggrin
    3. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      With any luck, telling the "new usses" what to do. 8)

uh... I mean, managing them. Yeah, that's what I meant.