Massive VMware Bug Shuts Systems Down

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Massive VMware Bug Shuts Systems Down

AKA: All your VM's belong to us

As of tomorrow morning, VM's running on all hosts with ESX 3.5U2 in enterprise configurations will not power on.

Boom.

Apparently, there is some bug in the vmware license management code. VMware is scrambling to figure out what happened and put out a patch.

There is a major discussion going on in the vmware communities about it: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/162377?tstart=0

OK, while we're all remaining calm....just imagine the implications that bugs like this can occur and get past QA testing....5 years down the road, nearly all server apps worldwide pretty much running in VM's (pretty easy prediction)......some country decides to initiate cyberwarfare and manages to get a backdoor into whatever is the prevaling hypervisor of the day.....boom. All your VM's belong to us.

Read the whole blogg here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments