Marks & Spencer in the clear over loss of staff data

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Marks & Spencer in the clear over loss of staff data

The information commissioner has dropped an enforcement notice against Marks & Spencer after the retailer encrypted every laptop across the organisation following a major security breach.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) issued the enforcement notice in January after it found M&S in breach of the Data Protection Act, following the theft of an unecrypted laptop containing the personal information of 26,000 M&S employees.

The laptop, which contained details on employees' names, salary details, addresses, national insurance numbers, dates of birth and phone numbers, was stolen from a printing company.

The ICO cancelled the enforcement notice after Marks & Spencer confirmed it had completed its encryption programme in July.

Darrell Stein, IT director at M&S, told the ICO in a letter on 8 July that all 4,352 laptops in the organisation across 11 countries had been encrypted using software from Utimaco.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments