Management briefing: Careers in IT

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, May 22, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Management briefing: Careers in IT

The geeks have triumphed. A generation weaned on iPods, games consoles and Google Earth sees a career in IT alongside those in law and medicine, according to the British Computer Society (BCS), which credits cool Silicon Valley technology companies with overhauling the industry's former nerdy image.

More than one third of young people surveyed by the BCS regard IT as an attractive career. Perceptions of the IT jobs market are holding up well despite the recession: 53 per cent of Britons under 30 with IT qualifications feel confident about employment opportunities in the next year.

Web development, computer games and teaching were the most popular IT careers, while 41 per cent of those surveyed saw IT as an easy industry in which to start a business.

Read the rest of the article here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Read the article this morning, it seems to contradict itself, first it mentions IT is a promising career path, then it mentions IT based companies now tend to treat non IT staff better.

Then it mentions that you should get IT skills and get into IT, then it mentions that IT is suitable for people without IT skills !

I find these sort of articles comming out of the BCS very concerning indeed.

I think IT is 'nerdy' in that it does require hard work and study and some intellect, this has always been the case and still is.

I would disagree that IT based businesses are easy to start or run, in fact margins for many IT business are quite low, labour costs tend to be high, risks also tend to be high.
    2. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      I can't say much at this stage but there are some massive changes coming with the BCS later this year and all for the better imho
    3. danielno8