Linux closes on Windows in usability tests

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Aug 11, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Linux closes on Windows in usability tests

The open-source operating system may be beginning to lose its user-unfriendly reputation with recent improvements, according to a German study

Linux is only marginally more difficult for users to learn than Windows XP, according to a study carried out by German usability testing agency Relevantive.

The tests, which compared SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional running the KDE 3.1.2 desktop environment to Windows XP, found that users were able to learn and complete tasks in Linux nearly as quickly as they could in Windows, and in some cases more quickly.

full story

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Go Linux Go! :D I've been somewhat hesitant to bring up the subject of Linux much around here since it seems to be a "Microsoft shop". Although I doubt there's much of a chance that what Bill Gates built will ever be toppled, Linux will certainly give him something to worry about.
    2. SimonV
      SimonV
      Hey trip, Now I've been thinking of adding something on Linux here in the forums. But as I have about 1% knowledge of it and only ever had installed it and thought "I'll come back to that later" I wouldnt know where to start. If you've got any ideas on Titles for forums drop me a PM and I'll make it happen. :cracking
    3. flex22
      flex22
      How about this for a title.

"Linux discussion" for a discussion forum about Linux. :idea:
    4. SimonV
      SimonV
      If i'd have know Linux was that simple then I'd have tried a bit harder. LOL Guess I was just being lethargic. :clown
    5. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      It might be a bit premature, unless:

1. There's someone on the board here who really knows Linux well

2. There's a significant number of members who are studying Linux as
      part of their coursework and/or pursuing Linux certifications.

I can say for myself, I had a tough time deciding whether to pursue a MS or Linux cert. It's not that I know so much about Linux...just enough "to get my face slapped"...but a fair number of jobs out there require Linux/UNIX experience. A lot of businesses in my little corner of the world are buying into Larry Ellision's vision and are switching to Linux as their back office OS.

I finally took the advice of about everyone who I asked when they told me: "Linux is for gurus...get your MS certs first and get a job...then learn more about Linux". Apparently, the consensus is that it's easier to get a job with an MS cert and limited experience but it's really tough to talk your way into a Linux job unless you really know what you're doing.

When I really want to know something about Linux, I visit a particular Linux site with a lot of activity. I don't go there often because I get lost in the conversations since they're so far above me and there's so much activity, that I can't keep up with the speed.

I also visit a very modest linux tutorial forum with (sadly) very little activity. A tutor on another site recommended it as being pretty good for a complete newbie like me. I've exchanged e-mails with the site admin and agreed to do a bit of technical writing for him. One of my articles (shock) has been published and another is about to be. I'm hoping to learn more about Linux, hardware, HTML editors, and writing by doing this project. It's completely voluntary in the best tradition of the open source community.

I guess part of what I'm trying to say is that we could start a Linux forum here...but it might not go very far if none of us are very savvy in Linux. We could "cross-pollinate" to another forum as a body and discuss Linux within a larger, more Linux oriented population rather than reinvent the wheel. Just a thought. Feel free to clobber me if I'm way off base.