IT vacancies dry up twice as fast as jobs in other industries

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IT vacancies dry up twice as fast as jobs in other industries

Demand for IT staff fell at twice the rate of demand for staff in all industries, according to the latest employment survey from sector skills council E-Skills UK.

Overall demand for staff in the UK fell by 5% in Q3 2008 to approximately 1.9 million vacancies, but the number of ICT positions on offer dropped 10% to 161,000 positions, E-Skills UK reported.

There was falling demand for both permanent and contract posts as vacancies shrank by 9% and 13% respectively over the quarter to 130,000 and 31,000 positions, it said.

Paradoxically, the number of firms that said it was harder to find skilled staff almost double from 17% to 31%.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. drum_dude
      drum_dude
      Hmm...so one has the quals, experience and soft skills. All that's left is to offer a willingless to do the job cheaper then the next guy/girl. I do think this will really happen in the near future...sort of gazundering on salaries.