IT firms look for relative rookies

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, May 13, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IT firms look for relative rookies

IT professionals with more than five years' experience may find it hard to find a new job in the current climate, according to new research from an online career resource.

Beyond.com conducted research into the average experience of people who are looking for a job, as well as the type of employees being looked for by companies.

In the IT sector, the company found that there has been a 54.5 per cent increase during the first quarter of the year in the number of professionals looking for work.

However, the majority of IT jobseekers had five to ten years' experience, but candidates with three to five years' experience were most in demand.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. michael78
      michael78
      Great just what I want to hear. I'm looking to move on and have 6 years experience. Time to wipe half my employement history off my CV :eek:
    2. mcbro
      mcbro
      Hmm havent had much luck so far with my 18months experience
    3. StormTHX
      StormTHX
      I believe that networking with people is going to do more to get you hired than anything else, regardless the amount of experience (assuming you have some).

There is some sort of comfort level with people that know other people when it comes to hiring in the IT world. I have sat through countless interviews with unknowns who claim to have all sorts of experience on their resume/CV and you quickly realize that the majority of the experience is trumped up or they are not applying for the correct job function.

Someone once said the devil you know is better than the devil you do not know.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes we get the best people through the interview process that no one has ever worked with prior, but it is rare.

Sad, but true and it took me a long time to come to grips with reality of networking (not to be confused with nepotism).

I think this study should state that they only want to pay for that amount of experience in this economy.
    4. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      I believe that they do in this part:

A more PC way of saying "we want cheaper labour" :rolleyes:

Not good...

Ken