IT Academia Across the Pond

Discussion in 'News' started by simongrahamuk, Jun 18, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

IT Academia Across the Pond

Since their inception, our CertMag.com discussion boards have benefited from regular commentary by a member named “wagnerk” who joined the forums in November 2005. He offers reliably good advice for fledgling IT professionals and informed opinions on other issues in the industry.

So, for our first Academic Connection feature, we reached out to “wagnerk” to learn what the college experience was like for such a seasoned IT pro.

“Wagnerk” is Ken Wagner, an IT network manager at a secondary school in the United Kingdom. He has a bachelor’s degree from University College Northampton; is certified in A+, Network+, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST), Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE); and is an IC3 authorized instructor. “There are more, but this is the main bulk of it,” he said.

Wagner took night classes part time, a decision that came down to money — he needed to work while pursuing his degree.

Read the rest here.

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. supag33k
      supag33k
      An interesting article that highlights the college options in the Uk for career development.
      Interestingly the comment that Ken was trained in software but ended up in support is telling, indeed from this is not uncommon from what I have seen in the Industry.
      Also I have found Ken to be a knowledgeable and helpful fellow - nice one Ken!
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Yeah, ok, I didn't realise at the time that they were going to print word for word. And re-reading what I said, well it it kinda makes me sound abit big-head:

'“There are more, but this is the main bulk of it,” he said.'

But everyone deserves their 5 mins of fame and that was mine :biggrin Apart from being a columnist for them now... with the first issue out in the next couple of weeks.

-ken
    3. Colin1
      Colin1
      Hey people, just had a read of the certmag article feauring wagnerk. I thought it was an excellent read that had a lot of relevance to what I am working towards. I am in the middle of studying my degree in IT and have often worried that academic qualifications may not be worth while with the constant need for certifications. I am thankfully doing both and hope it will pay off (eventually).
    4. wizard
      wizard
      So what's it like being famous? :D
    5. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      It's a bit hard dodging the paparazzi :biggrin

-Ken
    6. wizard
      wizard
      Nice one, visited that site for a couple of years and forgot about the forums, just registered and having a nose around, now I'm starting to get a craving for IT again :D
    7. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Excellent :)
    8. eddietop
      eddietop
      Interesting read, i used to work at Northampton Uni :)
    9. GrumbleDook
      GrumbleDook
      It's good to see that the views of UK techies are getting out there.
    10. AJ
      AJ
      I did not know that I was worthy enough to meet this goliath of the IT world.

:thumbleft