Is Wi-Fi Roaming Really Seamless?

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, May 15, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Is Wi-Fi Roaming Really Seamless?

One extremely beneficial aspect of Wi-Fi networks is mobility. For example, a person can walk through a facility while carrying on a conversation over a Wi-Fi phone or downloading a large file from a server. The Wi-Fi radio inside the user device automatically roams from one access point to another as needed to provide seamless connectivity. At least, that’s what we hope will happen! In the past, I’ve experienced issues with roaming, so I decided to perform some testing to get an inside view of what’s really happening. I was especially curious about how fast roaming actually works, and whether or not it’s disruptive to wireless applications.

Read the entire article Here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      I didn't read the article - but I *can* say that roaming will only happen when it is specialy setup!

Harry.
    2. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      Um - now I have read the article I have to say that taken on its own it is misleading.

You will *not* get roaming between two random APs. There are some basic rules to follow to get this - and they aren't mentioned in the article.

Harry.
    3. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I would have to agree with Harry, that a lot of information is missing from the article. I have found that it is very difficult to get wireless access points to play nicely as repeaters unless they are of the same make/model and support the functionality.

I have only really been exposed to cheap consumer equipment though, maybe the big name brands handle this function better?