Is it imperative to memorize all cable/line types, speed, distance, etc?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by sendalot, Dec 14, 2012.

1. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Is it imperative to memorize all cable/line types, speed, distance, etc?

Like 10Base, 100Base, LX, SX, TX, etc

Certifications: Many
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

it all depends on the exam that you are going to be taking and the chances of it coming up is anyone guess really

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Talking about Network+.

Thanks.

4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

To be honest, I've passed it and I haven't memorised all of them. It's a judgement call, but I've always found I can avoid having to cram lots into memory by knowing roughly what the different bits mean. This helps to make an educated guess. I prefer to study smart, and don't tend to sink a LOT of time into something that's only likely to come up in a few questions.

For example look at 100 base T.

Speed's easy, as it's just the first number (e.g. 100 = 100Mbps). Only thing to watch out for is that this is in mega-BITS (notice the small 'b'). So if you're asked about speed in BYTES (which uses an upper-case 'B') you'll need to divide (or multiply) by 8 (8 bits = 1 byte).

Cable type and distance isn't too bad either. TX, or T-whatever is for Twisted Pair cable, (UTP or STP); these are the ones you see almost everywhere and nearly all of them have a 100 metre distance limit. And they all use RJ45 connectors.
    I think coax for Ethernet has basically dropped off the exam, meaning that if it's not a BaseT-something, it'll likely be fibre (base F, S, L or E-something)

Fibre is painfully non-standardised. The idea I use is:-
    S is for Short-ish range, a few hundred metres. Usually these use multi-modal light (i.e. normal light from LEDs rather than lasers), and basically, this kind of 'dirty' light disperses over distance, limiting the range.
    L is for Longer range. This is where we start moving into kilometres - I think around 2-10km-ish. This is also where we start using the 'cleaner' (single-mode) light from lasers.
    E is for Extreme! These go up to like 40km.

Anything else I'd have to guess! This is just a rule of thumb, mind. There's a LOT of variation with fibre. But at least this might help you make an educated guess if you get a question or two on it. Personally I wouldn't waste hours on memorising it all.
    Also, if you do need to memorise things have a look at my post about Mnemosyne; that might help you do it more time effectively.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  5. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Oh wow, thank you very much sir.

Can't believe you are handing these out for free.

If I pass, you will be recognized.

6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

No problem. Good luck with the exam.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think this is exactly the right approach for the A+ and Network+. I'm sure they have a way of giving a balanced set of questions, so it's unlikely you'll get many 'obscure' questions. Also, most questions are fairly easy to narrow down to 2 options if you've covered the topics well enough, even if you haven't memorised absolutely everything.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

N+ Certification expired?

Certifications: A+, MS 70-680
    WIP: MS 70-640