Network + Acronyms

Discussion in 'Network+' started by The Zig, Jun 20, 2012.

1. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hello,

You may be aware that I'm quite into Mnemosyne - a great little app that I've used for years now that's great for memorising information quickly and effectively.

It's basically a flashcard system, but smarter. Based on your feedback as to how easy or hard cards are (and a pretty sophisticated algorithm based around something called phased repetition) it works out the bits you find difficult. So rather than wasting your time reviewing all the easy stuff you knew before you started, it quickly zeros in on the bits you're struggling with. It's annoyingly good at this.

For more info, check out my old thread on this where I painfully over-explain everything.

I'm attaching two files. The first is a .pdf telling you how to get started with Mnemosyne. Should be straightforward enough. The second is a text file that contains all the acronyms in easily importable tab-separated form (just follow the pdf guide). Have a look-see and give me some feedback on this.
    The Guide (v1.1) >>> View attachment Using Mnemosyne.pdf
    The flashcards >>> View attachment CompTIA Network+ Acronyms.txt

You should get 204 cards. These are ALL the acronyms listed in the official CompTIA Network + (2009) objectives. If CompTIA have made any mistakes they'll be in there. And I may have added a few of my own. Again, I welcome feedback.
    Also do suggest anything else you think would be useful. Things that jump to my mind are: port numbers and special IP ranges (for IPv4 and IPv6).
    Anything you want added, let me know.

If you love the whole idea of this, but aren't on to the Network+ yet and need this for the A+... I may have just the thread for you.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
    Trugster likes this.
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Thanks for all your effort, this is greatly appreciated! :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

You're more than welcome.

I rewrote that first post a bit better, and updated the guide to include a little on creating new cards. Mnemosyne's so easy to use it was barely worth writing!
    Has anyone who'd never used it before tried it out yet?

It's totally underwhelming for the first few days, and doesn't feel worth the effort. But trust me, after a couple of weeks of real usage, it's uncannily good at popping up cards you're just on the cusp of forgetting. Just be very honest when you rate the cards; it'll do the rest.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Great thread, you should pin this mate. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Okay... Pinned it. Hope people find it useful.

6. Trugster

Trugster New Member

Very nice - I'm going to try and get it running on my phone later - it would be perfect for revising on the bus/tube.

Thanks.

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: Network +
  7. offbeat404

offbeat404 New Member

thank you!

8. Censorious

Censorious Bit Poster