Internet failure hits two continents

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Internet failure hits two continents

Large swathes of Asia, the Middle East and north Africa had their high-technology services crippled Thursday following a widespread Internet failure which brought many businesses to a standstill and left others struggling to cope. One major telecommunications provider blamed the outage, which started Wednesday, on a major undersea cable failure in the Mediterranean. India's Internet bandwidth has been sliced in half, The Associated Press reported, leaving its lucrative outsourcing industry trying to reroute traffic to satellites and other cables through Asia. Reports say that Egypt, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrain are also experiencing severe problems.

Story at CNN.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Unfortunately, undersea cable failures weren't covered in the script the Indian techs read from, so the problem remained unfixed for hours. :twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p
    2. Modey
      Modey
      I wondered why I was getting less spam from Nigerian's that want to give me 5% of the 500million dollars of funds they need a stranger to help them transfer. :)
    3. BrizoH
      BrizoH
      Yep, it's affecting our Indian office. I read that they're having to send engineers who are trained scuba divers to fix it - now thats what I call working under pressure!
    4. Sparky
      Sparky
      Aye, but what part of the cable is playing up though? :biggrin
    5. sunn
      sunn
      Hmmm, I wonder how financially benefiting outsourcing is now... :hhhmmm
    6. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I hope their scripts are waterproof! :ohmy
    7. dales
      dales
      If that was me, i'd cut the other cables too and then we can all reap the benefits of turning our spamfilters off!
    8. JohnBradbury
      JohnBradbury
      As anyone with colleagues offshore will know this is nothing compared to the constant power outages. I've never seen a good case for offshoring work in the tech field and I'd happily argue the point with any manager.
    9. TimoftheC
      TimoftheC
      erm - the bit thats broken maybe - doh :twisted:
    10. nXPLOSi
      nXPLOSi
      And here's me thinking I've had a bad day.......... 8)
    11. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Here's the follow up:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/02/01/internet.outage/index.html

12. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      ZING!!!! :p
    13. JohnBradbury
      JohnBradbury
      I suspect my previous employer will be greatly affected by this and it will probably strain a few client relationships. Taking the whole picture into view I wonder if they feel it was worth the potential $10M saving [which I doubt they saved anyway].

Is it wrong for me to feel :D
    14. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      All I can say is... they got what they paid for.
    15. dingy
      dingy
      Was this because someone in Asia googled Google
    16. tripwire45
    17. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
    18. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Busted!
      [​IMG] :twisted:
    19. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Fine, I'm busted... now put the camera away and help me cut this thing...