How to Install Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Firefox on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Jul 30, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How to Install Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Firefox on Ubuntu

I 've tried this on Debian to no avail. I've tried it on Ubuntu but it didn't work out. However, I made the mistake of trying it from inside of Firefox. Interestingly enough, I had to literally "RTFM" to figure it out. I guess I'd fallen for the "hype" that with Ubuntu, it "just happens". Well, no. Even with Windows, it doesn't "just happen". You have to read and follow the instructions.

To read the entire HOW TO, click Here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Trip,

There is also the option to install Flashplayer 7 from the .tar file from the Adobe download site.

To do that all you need to do is decompress the file (tar -xzvf filename) after you have downloaded it, move to the decompressed directory at the bash prompt, and then run ./flashplayer-installer from inside that directory. Then just follow the directions. It's a piece of cake.

There is also one fonts package that I don't see listed in your howto that is a must with Flash Player. Maybe it was already installed by default in Ubuntu, but it's not in Debian. It is the gsfonts package. I see the gsfonts-x11 package mentioned but not the gsfonts package. Without that package Flashplayer simply will not display some things correctly.
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I don't know what to say, Freddy. The steps I listed in my tutorial are the exact ones I took to download and install FlashPlayer. Tested it out quite a bit (including watching the F-15 video) and I can't find any problems. As you said, those packages you mentioned may already be installed.
    3. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Trip,

You can check using dpkg. "dpkg -l | grep gsfonts" will list the installed gsfonts packages.

I know the gsfonts-x11 package is installed in the apt-get way of installing as it is listed in your how-to as an extra package that will be installed.

The gsfonts packages don't seem to affect video at all. The only place I've seen so far where they really make a difference in the display of what major league baseball calls Gameday. It's basically a little flash application located on each teams home page when they are playing a game that shows just-slightly-delayed-from-real-time box scores while a game is being played. Without those two fonts packages a lot of the statistics, line up cards, etc... don't show up correctly. With them you can see pitch-by-pitch balls and strikes, immediately updated hitting, fielding, and pitching stats, where the ball was hit, how outs were made, etc....
    4. michael78
      michael78
      I had problems installing several apps through firefox. It just doesn't seem to work. I have tried installing flash and real player to no avail. I had hoped that firefox would just install the plugins and be done with it.

I've tried to install real player seperatly in order to listen to the football on ubuntu and the player GUI works but the streaming video does'nt detect the player so I must of not installed it properly. I wished the major Linux distros would come together and agree on one installation package that will work with all linux distros. At the moment I think the installation process is just too confusing for people migrating or wanting to use linux.
    5. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      If you have problems installing any apps in Ubuntu try installing Automatix (theres tons of information on it at the Ubuntu Forums). It will automatically install them for you, including a number of plugins for FF.
    6. michael78
      michael78
      Cool, cheers Simon I'll give it a go...:D
    7. tripwire45
    8. michael78
      michael78
      I'll give it ago Trip, though I'm sure I've tried it and couldn't find real audio. I know it's user error and a case of learning to install apps and something I need to get to grips with. I think Ubuntu has made installing things a lot easier than most distros but I think that they need to do away with the confusion and have one format of installing files like .exe in windows which accounts for 90% of how windows packages come packaged.

I'm in London at the mo but will try it this weekend as I would love to be able to listen to the matches on my Linux PC whilst playing on my other PC.