Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hard drive evolution could hit Microsoft XP users

Hard drives are about to undergo one of the biggest format shifts in 30 years.

By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.

The move to the advanced format will make it easier for hard drive makers to produce bigger drives that use less power and are more reliable.

However, it might mean problems for Windows XP users who swap an old drive for one using the changed format.

Read the full Article here.

Compliments to jk2447 for the find :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Please to be giving you very good helpings today, tanjewberrymud.

:eek:
    2. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      I once had cause to call for activation of Win XP twice in the space of one day, once around lunchtime when this was the voice at the end of the phone and once after 5pm when apparently the call centre had moved....

.... to Wales.
    3. wizard
      wizard
      Wow that was a fast move :D
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      ahhahahahh! :p "My name is 'Adam', how can I to be helping you today?" Adam... riiiiiight... :rolleyes:
    5. westernkings
      westernkings
    6. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      whats REALLY funny is when they try and be clever and get your location from your IP and ask you how the weather is in 'someplaceyournot' think they have stopped that for the most part as it backfires so often LOL
    7. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      We used to joke about the 'crackle button'.
      MS would generally transfer you half way round the world on the pretext of 'passing you over to my colleague who very helping you with this technical issue. Tanjew for calling.'

You would eventually get through to the guy who was apparently the oracle of whichever subject you were asking about, at which point the line would disintigrate into static and you'd be reduced to bellowing down the phone while the guy answered as quietly as he could.

You'd put the phone down and say 'I'm not going through all that again!'

Which I imagine is the whole point...

I also had a classic conversation with a young lad on the switchboard at the MS office in Reading.

ME: 'Can you put me through to the complaints department please?'
      HIM: 'I'm sorry, we don't actually have a complaints department.' (CUNNING, Microsoft, cunning!)
      ME: 'Well, who can I speak to if I've got a complaint?'
      HIM: (puzzled silence. A complaint? Surely not.) 'Well, it would depend on what the complaint was regarding.'
      ME: 'Software licensing.'
      HIM: 'That would be the licensing department.'
      ME: 'Great, can you put me through to them?'
      HIM: 'Sure, what's it regarding?'
      ME: (not sure if he's taking the piss) 'I've got a complaint to make.'
      HIM: 'I'm sorry, they don't handle complaints in that department.'

I suppose it's one way to keep your customer satisfaction stats up...

:rolleyes:
    8. dales
      dales
      I live near reading, I'm more than happy for my complaints department to talk to theirs if you like!

[​IMG]