Graduates to be offered internships

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Graduates to be offered internships

University graduates struggling to find work could be offered modestly-paid internships under a new Government scheme, it has emerged.

Four top firms, including Barclays and Microsoft, have already signed up to the programme to take on graduates who would otherwise joins the growing ranks of the unemployed.

Plans for the national internship scheme come amid a worsening jobs market and increasingly challenging employment prospects for those leaving education.

John Denham, the Innovation, Universities and Skills Secretary, revealed the proposals in a newspaper interview.

Read the whole news article here.

If this goes ahead, this will help alot of graduates. But however about people that have already graduated or those that aren't doing degrees?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      You rascal! You edited it as I was typing my reply! :biggrin Good job I checked.

As I hope I showed in earlier replies, I too believe that something like BSc for doctor and such-like is a valid point. But having any old degree should not mean that you have a better chance of a job than me.
    2. Qs
      Qs
      I don't know what you mean... :tune

But yeah... agreed. Higher level qualifications should be relevant to really show you mean business. Fresh graduates (will probably) still need experience in order to get a job though.
    3. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      I did DM... based on the article, I assumed you were saying that those students who have degrees and who would otherwise be unemployed should get the jobs. On the strength of your reply, I assume I was wrong and happily stand corrected. Sorry if my earlier missive sounded like a rant at you by the way... it wasn't meant to. :oops:

Agreed; but... there may be other factors that influence someone's ability to get the foundation degree, such as married mother with small kids at home who is working to try to make ends meet. I'd like to think that person stood a chance too and wouldn;t be barred from doing so because she cannot fit time into her hectic lifestyle to get the degree by whatever (legal) means.

Again, I was responding on the basis that you meant hose fresh out of uni... but, as I mentioned just, circumstances do play a part when it comes to whether someone is able to apply themselves.

I agree totally that employers decide... and that all jobseekers are able to go for that job on an equal footing.