Facebook 'withdraws' data changes

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Facebook 'withdraws' data changes

The founder of Facebook says the social network will return to its previous terms of service regarding user data.

In a blog post Mark Zuckerberg said the move was temporary "while we resolve the issues that people have raised".

Users had complained after new terms of service seemed to suggest Facebook would retain personal data even if someone deleted their account.

Originally defending the changes, Mr Zuckerberg had said it was to better reflect how people used the site.

He had said the changes were made to ensure that if a user deleted his or her account any comments or messages he or she had left on a friend's Facebook page would not also disappear.

Read the rest of the article here.

To follow on from this thread.

Compliment to Arroyn for the find :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      He's probably backtracking as people were leaving and going to other social networking sites.
    2. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Actually very few people left to go to 'other' social networks
      social networking does not work that way, although many people use more than one to begin with

Social networks only work when a critical mass is reached, facebook was clever when they started and kept it MIT only, then spread it out to other .edu domains, keeping the required critical mass low

friends wont jump ship to other social networks if their friends are not there to begin with

They are just working out ways to re word the ToS, basically nothing changed from a user perspective, people who have no clue what they are talking about just got all noisy about it because a mate of a mate who works down at Homebase thought he overheard that it was a bad thing

Lets see how long it takes their laywers to re word :)
    3. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      With the kind of hourly fees the lawyers FB employ could charge... as short a time as possible they hope!! :biggrin
    4. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      I know of quite a few people who left and took their friends with them and they joined other sites like myspace. I also know people who complained too.
    5. Crito
      Crito
      "We can't delete the surrogate user ID without loosing all associated data. " Another example of poor database design.