Education and experience: is there an ideal mix for becoming a CIO

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Education and experience: is there an ideal mix for becoming a CIO

Many IT professionals see themselves as chief information officers (CIOs) in the making, but how should they go about realising this ambition, and what, for that matter, does the role require anyway?

The trouble budding CIOs face is that there is no clear career path in terms of either education or experience, compared with high-profile positions in disciplines such as law or medicine.

The duties and responsibilities of the CIO are varied. Job site Monster.co.uk put together a typical CIO job spec for Computing that outlines key competencies, based on the CIO roles that it has advertised.

These competencies include...

Read more: Here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Rob1234
      Rob1234
      Intresting article, thanks.
    2. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      For the vast majority of CIOs, certifications don't matter a damn. Nor does your education. What matters 95% of the time is WHERE you got your education, and who you (or your daddy) knows.