E-mail changes spark two-tier fears

Discussion in 'News' started by simongrahamuk, Feb 14, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

E-mail changes spark two-tier fears

Fee-based systems for commercial e-mails raise the spectre of the two-tier internet, writes internet law professor Michael Geist.

America Online and Yahoo's recent announcement of a new fee-based system for commercial e-mail has generated enormous discussion within the internet and marketing communities.

Supporters argued that the plan represents an innovative marketing approach that will help reduce spam.

Detractors, on the other hand, fear that the plan will choke off free speech by limiting the use of e-mail to those who can afford to pay millions in new service fees.

Read the rest of the story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Boycie
      Boycie
      although sounds like a con, i would rather pay for a professional e-mail service and have good spam control than a freebie and then have yet another program trying to stop/control it.
      I wonder if it will take off?....
    2. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      I don't see the problem here - at work, we have (relatively low-fee) paid-for email services offering serious AS/AV filtering that actually works. What's £10-20+ a year for commercial, or even personal email if it really an important issue to you as a user ?