CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications are now valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. The change brings the CompTIA certifications in line with the practice of other major providers of certifications for IT professionals, such as Cisco, Microsoft and Oracle.

The renewal policy also is required for these three certifications to maintain their accreditation and compliance with internationally accepted standards for assessing personnel certification programs (ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024). CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications earned the ISO 17024 accreditation from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 2008. ISO requires that individuals have a way to renew the currency of their certification on a regular basis. In CompTIA’s case, renewal will occur every three years.

The new certification renewal policy is applicable to all individuals who hold CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications, regardless of the date they were certified. Other CompTIA certifications are not affected at this time.

Read the rest of the article here, the FAQ are here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      I agree, as we got certified under a different set of rules.

-ken
    2. danielno8
      danielno8
      It does exactly what it says on the tin, RECERTIFIES, the knowledge is still there. Who would want to do this with a comptia cert i don't know, but when it comes to Cisco, people who are working in the core of the network oughta be able to show they are still up to speed. This **** can be forgotten so quick when not using it. I'm maybe not actually geting my point across very well here, but to me it just seems to make sense for Cisco certs to need recertified, but not for comptia.
    3. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      So someone looks up an IOS command whoop de doo, or more likely they have to create a maintenance plan that gets reviewed by 3-4 other network engineers.

I know a CCIE who said every contract he got there had to be a minimum of two CCIE's on hand.

Then theres all the network engineers I know that have done their job competently and quietly for 10+ years, never got one Cisco cert. Most of them having worked for BT or other large communications companies all their life.
      Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    4. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Good point.

If you buy something which the maker says will last forever, then a year later they say it will actually wear out really quick, you'd generally have a strong point.

I suspect that in CompTIA's T&Cs that everyone agrees to when they sit an exam, there is some sort of clause that says they can change the rules whenever they like.

It would be an intersting case to see through though... 8)
    5. supernova
      supernova
      interesting

I have already filed my complaint
    6. derkit
      derkit
      We have that at work - quite a few of the network engineers/designers we have seem to be running scared whenever the hierarchy mentions about training/qualifications and thats even for the CCNA!
    7. dazza786
      dazza786
      .. well there goes my 'Security+ certified FOR LIFE' tattoo :(
    8. craigie
      craigie
      CompTIA who?
    9. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Exactly! :twisted:
    10. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      Maybe ask girlfriend or wife if they could chnage their name to Shirley, and take that forklift driving exam you've always wnated to do... then you'd easily hide it... just a couple of minor changes required!

Shirley certified FORKLIFT Truck Driver

Sorted! No, no need to thank me. 8)
    11. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Wow ! Missed this thread yesterday.

Have to say I tend to agree with the comments for those who already hold the certs - should be grandfathered or some sort of provision made.

New people sitting, yeh, maybe it wil have an impact and less people go for it as CompTIA seem less well known in UK certainly.

I have not bothered with A+ or N+ as I feel I have that by experience and certainly wouldn't go back to sit a cert to prove it.

As for thigs like Sec+ etc. I feel they will be devalued as most will probably use those as entry level and go on to other certs like Cisco or CISSP etc. If you're certified at that level why would you go back to recertify at a lower level ? Pointless.

The only route I can see to make it worthwhile is if CPD counts so you don't recertify.
    12. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Mate, you're slipping :lol:

-Ken
    13. danielno8
      danielno8
      That's not arguing about recertifying, that's saying you don't see the need to get certified at all. Which to be fair many people don't nd it doesn't harm them.
    14. itskillsguy
      itskillsguy
      With over 30,000 businesses in the UK claiming to offer IT support, shouldn't having the latest up-to-date cert's be a positive in helping to differentiate from the rest? If you truly are dedicated to providing the very best service to your customers, an outlay of a couple of hundred quid is well worth it.

There are far too many cowboys claiming to be IT guru's just because they know how to play with settings on their mobile phone. Having an up-to-date certification tells customers that they are dedicated to raising the bar in service level standards.

Other industries regularly have to update their skills to ensure that they are familiar with the latest technologies/standards - why shouldn't the IT industry do this too. Just because you have an A+ from 1999 doesn't mean you're going to be able to work with technologies of today.

Just my two pence...
    15. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Its just more paperwork and red tape, people who want to get round the system will, so all you will do is raise more income for cert vendors. We have had similar disscussions before. Unfortunately today a cert on its own proves very little, upto date or not.

You make a big assumption that a cert proves technical competency, high standards and good customer service.

Yes there are many cowboys in IT, however many of them have managed to get degrees, masters and survive in industry for years, they can game many different types of system, you really think a computer based multiple choice test from comptia is gonna catch them out ?

I think an A+ from 1999 would be just fine to be honest, it probably indicates you are interested in IT and have been doing it for years, this and a good work history would be better than a recent cert in my mind.

Whats wrong with interviewing people, getting references, etc ?
      Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    16. supernova
      supernova
      Once you have an Certification (latest eg 2009) you don't have to retake if you earn enough Continuing Education Unit (CEU) points within a 3 year period (eg A+ =20).

What people are disagreeing with (i believe) is having to take the latest exam first if they have a older one and having to pay the yearly subscription for the CEU route to continue.

We took our exams as "life time exams", they shouldn't be able to turn around and change that, its not what we originally brought and passed.

If they wont overturn this, then they should at least allow us to earn CEU's instead and reset the clock, or some sort of online bridging exam.

I wont to keep my A+, however, i am not going to stop studying other more important certs to retake it, nor keep paying out when money is tight.

I hope they sort this out when i go back to take the N+ and security plus, before starting CISCO
    17. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      I'm pretty sure I would also disagree with any 'CPD logging' system they put in place, theres no real way to run such a system fairly at arms length or for no fee.

Supernova's absolutely right, none of this is what I signed up for.
    18. Haze
      Haze
      As somebody currently studying for the 2009 exams this has come as a kick in the teeth. The big draw was that they are 'for life' and as an entry-level cert what's the point in them expiring after 3 years when you're obviously going to be well past that.

Lots have said this already but I felt I should add my support to the argument, I would certainly sign a petition.

Out of interest, if in the UK the A+ is less well-known is it even worth bothering with now? I've so far (after THANKFULLY escaping the clutches of training providers) spent time and £30-odd on materials for the A+ which I'm working through, should I do something else? Bear in mind I'm an administrative office worker looking to change career and have nothing IT-wise on my CV, but with a wealth of experience outside work so I'm more than ready to self-cert. I'm looking for any route in basically.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    19. dmarsh
      dmarsh
    20. Qs
      Qs
      Here's a good analogy for you - Driving.

You want to drive a car, so you go and pass your theory and practical and get your license. You can now drive a car. Yay.

In 10 years time, you'll still be able to drive a car, even a bright sparkly new one with a more technologically advanced engine, and extra large fluffy dice - because the basic of driving are the same.

The driving a car skill is an entry level cert - like the A+.

If you want to drive a lorry, then you need to renew your license every x years, because driving something larger and more dangerous requires renewing. You know this requirement before you try and obtain your lorry license.

The driving a lorry skill is an advanced level cert - like the CCNP.

If the government introduced a change of policy which meant that people who had just passed their test only held their license for three years before it expired (and made this change applicable to all current drivers), it would piss a lot of people off - which is exactly what's happening here.

What has added further insult to injury is that CompTIA made a point of stressing that their exams were for life. It now looks like they've done a complete 180, which is why I for one will not be obtaining any CompTIA certs in the future.

Qs