Can your machine run Vista?

Discussion in 'News' started by Boycie, May 25, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Take a look here and see....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall

Hm - I'd suggest that you need SP2 for the fixes, rather than any new security functionality!

Harry.
    2. nugget
      nugget
      Harry, as I understand it SP's are only a compilation of all the individual fixes anyway and by the time you actually get it and install it you still need to update. In fact you are generally more up to date with WU than with the SP's as it takes some time to reach the release stage while MS tests it.

:offtopic
    3. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall

Indeed! If you are installing the patches then you should be fine.

Harry.
    4. Baba O'Riley
      Baba O'Riley
      Don't panic Harry, we do indeed install all the patches and secuity updates. Thanks for your concern.:D
    5. zxspectrum
      zxspectrum
      Even though that article says it will require a minimum of 512 rma, ive been led to believe otherwise, like at least a gig, luckily for me ill be buying a dual core laptop with at least a gig of ram and hopefull will have little problem in the change over.

Has anyone heard the rumours about the compatability with dual core, this is a very stretched out one me thinks, but apparently there are issues with it running correctly etc??? :oops:
    6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
      UCHEEKYMONKEY
      Good thread Boyce!

Interesting to read about Vista, but what it doesn't explain is the Microsoft want to release one box version. In other words a program that is 15GB. The only difference is to activate certain parts of Vista, i.e. Ultimate, business or basic you need to connected to the internet, were you will be sent a activation code to unlock certain parts of the program.

MS hope to stay ahead with the competition by offering up to date downloads at a price. :rolleyes:

I can't see it being a problem for those who are coonected to the net and have big HD. However, for those who are not connected. :hhhmmm
    7. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      so these "update downloads", are these patches/fixes for the OS? cuz if they are, these are MS's fault therefore, in my little eye, i think these should be free rather than at a price...
    8. Baba O'Riley
      Baba O'Riley
      Huh :ohmy? MS don't want to release one version, they are releasing about 3 or 4 million versions (or 6, but who's counting?).

CheekMaster, patches and security fixes will be free, I'm sure, but someone with a basic edition of Vista can buy a download to upgrade it to one of the more advanced versions. There's a good article here called 20 Things You Won't Like About Vista, one of which is all the different versions. It also explains the differences between each one.
    9. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Brilliant article Baba, the best I have seen to date - thanks mate 8)
    10. Baba O'Riley
      Baba O'Riley
      No worries Pete. I found it very informative as I haven't actually looked at an install of Vista since Beta 1 which I couldn't get to network so gave up with it pretty quickly. I really think this could be a disaster of Windows me proportions in the making.
    11. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      omg lets hope not :eek:
    12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
      UCHEEKYMONKEY

Nice one Baba :thumbleft